Fun Things to do This Weekend 06/07/17
From markets to a screening of a ground-breaking documentary, start planning your weekend now
1. A Bigger Splash
In honour of David Hockney's 80th birthday Auckland Art Gallery is screening ground-breaking 1974 documentary A Bigger Splash which tells the story of the great artist’s drawn-out breakup with partner Peter Scheslinger from 1970-73. Featuring fictional and fantasy elements alongside the fly-on-the-wall coverage, the film stars many of his peers and friends of the time, including designers Celia Birtwell and Ossie Clark, artist Patrick Proctor, gallery owner John Kasmin and museum curator Henry Geldzahler.
• Cnr Kitchener and Wellesley Sts, Sunday July 9, 1pm. Free
2. Cross St Market
If you’re into hand-crafted homewares, all things vintage and plants, head along to this weekend’s Cross St Market. Also on offer will be fortune telling, coffee and food and entertainment.
• Sunset Tattoo, 4A Cross St, Thursday July 6, 2pm-9pm and Friday July 7 to Sunday July 9, 10am-5pm
3. Winter Tonic Mini Workshop
Learn to make an immune system boosting tonic to get you through the chillier months at this weekend’s We-ar Slow Sundays workshop. Led by Abbie from Feel Fresh Nutrition, guests need to take along a glass jar so you can take your tonic home, or buy one in store for $5. The Sunday workshops are concentrating on things to make you feel “well, happy, inspired and healthy” over winter.
• 122 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby, Sunday July 9, 2-3.30pm. Phone (09) 378 8140 for details and to book a space.
4. Still, I Rise Women's Collective x Rise Hot Yoga and Pilates
Take some time out this weekend to take part in a “sassy” guided meditation and hot yoga, inspired by Maya Angelou's poem Still I Rise at Rise Hot Yoga and Pilates. Held in association with the Women’s Collective, the event will take place accompanied by some great tunes that will empower, enlighten and uplift you. Children are welcome and there will be refreshments and entertainment.
• 79 St Georges Bay Rd, Parnell, Saturday July 8, 8am and 10am. Tickets, $40, at Eventbrite.co.nz
5. Pop-Up Jaimie Recycle Sale
We're excited about the return of local fashion label Jaimie, with a one day pop-up sale this Saturday. On offer will be "new old" Jaimie stock, past season items plus vintage items from Vivienne Westwood, Acne, Adidas, Margiela and more. Also look at for items from Jaimie friends, including a vinyl record fair from Nathan Haines, one-off piecesfrom Mofu cloting, jewellery from Hera Saabi and more.
• 1 Cascade St, Freeman's Bay, Saturday July 8, 10am-4.30pm
6. Kowtow Pop-Up Sale
If you’re in central Wellington this weekend, call into Blair St to check out Kowtow’s Pop-Up Sale store where the label’s organic cotton collections and its building block range will be available for up to 50 per cent off. Can’t make it this weekend? No problem, the store will be open until August 1.
• 4 Blair St, Wellington, Monday to Friday, 10am-6.30pm, Saturday, 10am-5pm, Sunday 10am-4pm.
7. Inky Mad Hatters Art and Zine Market
Head up to K Rd for First Thursdays tonight for the Inky Mad Hatters Art and Zine Market in La Gonda Arcade where you’ll find affordable and art prints, stickers and zines for sale. Artists on the lineup include Chippy, Toni Gill, Toby Morris, Jed Richardson and more.
• 203H La Gonda Arcade, K Rd, Thursday July 6, 6pm-9pm.
Future events to book and look forward to
An Evening with Sigur Ros, Spark Arena, Auckland, July 21
New Zealand International Film Festival, Auckland, July 20-August 6
Lil Yachty, Powerstation, Auckland, July 25
Urban Street Fest, Corban Arts Centre, Henderson, July 27
Auckland Restaurant Month, from August 1
Jerry Seinfeld, Spark Arena, Auckland, August 12
Nell Gwynn, ASB Waterfront Theatre, Auckland, August 15
- Karen Walker & Tukua Turia Debut at Buckingham Palace
- Runway Trend: It's All About Embracing Personal Style
- On Our Radar: Four New Openings to Visit
- It's Time to Start Respecting Victoria Beckham as a Fashion Designer
- Runway Report: London Fashion Week
- The Most Interesting Looks From The BAFTAs 2018 Red Carpet