Fun Things to Do This Weekend 19/01/17
Film, music, and shopping suggestions for the weekend ahead
1. Classic Kiwi band The Mockers are back with their first tour in 30 years, starting with a show in Hamilton at Altitude Bar tonight, followed by a show in Auckland at the Powerstation on Friday.
They will play nine reunion shows around the country, performing hit tracks such as Forever Tuesday Morning and Swear It’s True.
— Venues across the country, from January 19-29. Visit eventfinda.co.nz
2. Love a good deal? Then don't miss Smith & Caughey's summer sale, which kicks off this Friday at both Auckland stores. There will be massive savings with up to 60 per cent off across all departments.
— Smith & Caughey’s Queen St opens 9.30am and Smith & Caughey’s Newmarket opens 9am. Visit smithandcaugheys.co.nz
3. British house duo Basement Jaxx will be bringing the bangers to the waterfront this Saturday, with a set at music event AKL17.
— AKL17, Mantells on the Water, Westhaven. January 21. Visit eventbrite.co.nz
4. Head outdoors and don’t miss this week’s Movies in Parks film Alice Through the Looking Glass, screening this Friday from 8.45pm. Arrive early if you have kids, as they will have pre-movie entertainment starting from 6.30pm.
— Mairangi Bay Park, Ramsgate Tce, Mairangi Bay, January 20. Visit moviesinparks.co.nz
5. Feeling jaded, scared or angry (or all of the above) about the state of world politics and Donald Trump’s inauguration this weekend? Make a stand with the Women’s March on Washington, D.C., with sister marches in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Labour’s Jacinda Ardern, political commentator Tracey Barnett and Alison Mau will speak at the Auckland march.
— Be part of the Auckland march this Saturday, 10.30am-12.30pm, meeting outside the US Consulate, 23 Customs St East.
6. Enjoy the sunset as you wander through the Brick Bay Sculpture Trail at Snells Beach - the Twilight Trail will see the Matakana winery open late as part of their summer series events, with an outdoor barbecue and live nine-piece brass band.
— Brick Bay Wines and Sculpture Trail, Arabella Lane, Snells Beach, Warkworth, January 20. Visit brickbay.co.nz
7. Feeling hungry? Sign up and enter the Seven Deadly Bao Eating Contest at new Asian-fusion street food joint Tucks & Bao. First place will receive $500 cash, with second and third winning food vouchers to enjoy.
— 4pm, January 22, 19 Davis Cres, Newmarket. To register, email email@example.com
8. Take a roadie to Raglan this weekend for Soundsplash, a three-day music festival with classic local summertime acts including Six 60, State of Mind and Tiki Taane.
— Wainui Reserve, Wainui Rd, Raglan, January 20-22. Visit soundsplash.co.nz