Fun Things to Do This Weekend 20/07/2017
Kick off with some truffles, catch a show and hunt for a bargain this weekend
1. Octavia Cook's A Show of Eyes
Local artist Octavia Cook launches her latest exhibition at the Anna Miles Gallery this weekend. See the local artist’s latest brooch designs which feature eyes of the predatory kind — watch out for the alligators, vultures and stingrays. Exhibiting alongside is a modern take on embroidered work from artist Vita Cochran.
• 10/30 Upper Queen St, Sunday July 24, 3pm, until August 1.
2. Truffle Festival at Oaken
Calling all foodies! A festival dedicated to the holy truffle is underway at Oaken. Try regional and international varieties paired with beautiful cheeses from the mini menu available at lunch and dinner. Delights include a truffle brie sweet cracker and truffle parmesan popcorn. Or pull up a stool at the best seat in the house at the Chef’s Table evenings on Tuesday and Saturday.
• 130 Quay St, Britomart, on now until Sunday July 30. To book for the Chef’s Table contact (09) 379 4462 or firstname.lastname@example.org
3. House of Z
Catch a glimpse into the dark side of couture with this fashion flick showing this weekend as part of the New Zealand International Film Festival. Presented by Viva, House of Z takes the viewer on an intimate journey with New York-based designer Zac Posen following the highs and lows of his star-studded career to date.
• House of Z shows Friday July 21 at the Civic Theatre and Saturday July 22 at Event Cinemas Westgate. Tickets from Nziff.co.nz
4. Artwok x Sawmill Brewery Dinner
Celebrate (nearly) the end of the week with a beer-matched dinner at Artwok in Takapuna. The contemporary Chinese restaurant has invited Sawmill Brewery to talk through five of its seasonal beers which will be paired with five of their wok-fired dishes.
• 152 Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna, Thursday July 20. $59pp or $210 for four. Bookings essential (09) 930 0999, visit Artwok.co.nz
5. An Evening with Sigur Ros
Icelandic post-rock trio Sigur Ros are bringing their full production of lights and visuals to Auckland, performing ethereal soundscapes from their extensive back catalogue, as well as new material from their upcoming eighth studio album. The band's music was featured on Game of Thrones during the doomed union between Margaery Tyrell and Joffrey Lannister. Read our story on how this iconic TV series is influencing fashion here.
• Spark Arena, Friday July 21, 7:30pm. Tickets from Ticketmaster.co.nz
6. The Simon & Garfunkel Story
After selling out London’s West End, The Simon & Garfunkel Story hits Auckland for one night only this Sunday. The show tells the tale of the two young boys from Queens, New York, who became one of the world’s most successful music duo of all time. A full band will perform all the hits including Mrs. Robinson, Bridge over Troubled Water and The Boxer, as photographs and film footage is projected onto the big screen.
• ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre, 50 Mayoral Drive, Sunday July 23, 7pm. Tickets from Ticketmaster.co.nz
7. Surf, Street and Skate Sale
Grab some cool new threads at The Trust Arena’s Big Surf, Street and Skate Clothing and Shoe Sale on until Saturday. There’s 30 to 80 per cent off brands including Nike, Roxy, Adidas, New Balance and I Love Ugly.
• The Trusts Arena, 65-67 Central Park Dr, Henderson. Until Saturday July 22, 9am-6pm.
Future events to book and look forward to
Lil Yachty, Powerstation, Auckland, July 25
Bonobo, Town Hall, Auckland, July 27
Urban Street Fest, Corban Arts Centre, Henderson, July 27
Auckland Restaurant Month, from August 1
Jerry Seinfeld, Spark Arena, Auckland, August 12
Nell Gwynn, ASB Waterfront Theatre, Auckland, August 15
The Corsini Collection: A Window on Renaissance Florence, Auckland Art Gallery, September 2-Jan 21
Cirque du Soleil: Toruk, Spark Arena, Auckland, September 15-24Share this:
- Zoe Kravitz on Style, Diversity & Her Latest Role as a Beauty Ambassador
- Restaurant Review: Cotto, K Rd
- Charli Howard Opens up About the Modelling Industry
- Get Your Game Face On with the Latest Cosmetic Beauty Trends
- Workout Tips From Top Fitness Trainer Kirsty Godso
- From a Style Blog to Superbe French Menswear