Fun Things to Do This Weekend 27/07/17
Exhibitions, sales galore and food festivals — there’s plenty to feed your appetite this weekend
1. Future Islands Exhibition
Future Islands, New Zealand’s entry into the 2016 Venice Architecture Biennale, certainly made a splash when it was presented in Italy last year. Now, the exhibition is back on home turf and showing for the first time at Objectspace’s new gallery. The work features 22 island-like floating forms that represent the diversity of our architecture and its exciting possibilities.
• 13 Rose Rd, Ponsonby, from Friday 28 July until Saturday 16 September.
2. Smith & Caughey's Sale
It's sale time at Smith and Caughey’s. Its famous end-of-season sale sees prices slashed across fashion, lingerie and homewares, both instore and online.
• 253-261 Queen St and 225 Broadway, Newmarket. Open 9.30am-6pm Saturday and 10am-6pm Sunday.
3. Urban Street Fest
The food trucks are rolling out west this Thursday for a night of food and live music at Henderson's Urban Street Fest. A haven of delicious street eats including Dutch fries, dumplings, Chinese bao, handmade pasta and gelato will be found under cover at the Corban Estate Arts Centre, meaning weather won't be an issue. The event is family friendly and free to attend.
• Shed 1, Corban Estate Arts Centre, 2 Mt Lebanon Lane, Henderson, Thursday July 27, 5-9pm.
4. Juliette Hogan and Kathryn Wilson Sale
Top Kiwi designers Juliette Hogan and Kathryn Wilson join forces this weekend for a sale on archive and end-of-season styles and accessories. Eftpos will be available.
• Flying Fish Studios, 230 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby, Saturday July 29, 9am-5pm, Sunday July 30, 9am-3pm.
5. Auckland Food Show
Stock up on the best food, drink and kitchen equipment and learn secret tricks from New Zealand’s top chefs including Annabel Langbein, Michael Van de Elzen and Simon Gault at The Food Show this weekend. This year there’s also a Healthy Hub Kitchen featuring Nadia Lim and Megan May whipping up nutritious delights, and a Brewers Lane featuring the latest and greatest in craft beer.
• ASB Showgrounds, Greenlane, Thursday 27 July to Sunday July 30, 10am–5pm.
6. Auckland Zinefest Market
Over 80 zinemakers will be selling their freshest work this Sunday at the Auckland Art Gallery’s Zinefest Market. Have a browse and buy these self-made creative expressions on everything from design, psychedelic journeys, science and feminism. There will also be talks and panels in the Gallery Auditorium throughout the day. Get in quick and remember to bring cash!
• Cnr Wellesley and Kitchener Sts, Auckland Central, Sunday July 30, 12-5pm
7. Jono Rotman’s Materiel Exhibition
America-based New Zealand photographer Jono Rotman's third solo exhibition is now open at Gow Langsford Gallery. The large prints of Materiel explore the pervasiveness of weaponry in the United States and their polarising influence.
• 26 Lorne St, Auckland Central, from Saturday July 29
8. bStreet Block Party
bFM's regular block party takes over K Rd this Saturday, with a massive music lineup spread across the street's best bars. There’s something for everyone, from underground bangers, disco and pop to hard metal, at venues including Whammy Bar, Love Bucket, Peach Pit, Madame George and more. Check out the full lineup here and get ready to party.
• Across venues on K Rd, Saturday July 29, all day. Free.
Future events to book and look forward to
Auckland Restaurant Month, from August 1
Jerry Seinfeld, Spark Arena, Auckland, August 12
Nell Gwynn, ASB Waterfront Theatre, Auckland, August 15
One Day in France French Festival, Queens Wharf, August 26
The Corsini Collection: A Window on Renaissance Florence, Auckland Art Gallery, September 2-Jan 21
Cirque du Soleil: Toruk, Spark Arena, Auckland, September 15-24
Future, Spark Arena, September 28
- Zoe Kravitz on Style, Diversity & Her Latest Role as a Beauty Ambassador
- Restaurant Review: Cotto, K Rd
- Charli Howard Opens up About the Modelling Industry
- Get Your Game Face On with the Latest Cosmetic Beauty Trends
- Workout Tips From Top Fitness Trainer Kirsty Godso
- From a Style Blog to Superbe French Menswear