Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
Try this rich and delicious cabbage recipe, a wonderful winter staple
A red cabbage is a wonderful winter staple. It is hard to overcook and also reheats successfully when braised. It makes a great partner to roasts, spicy sausages and slow-cooked meals. I also love to eat it topped with a steak that has been pan-fried quickly then served on top of the cabbage, allowing the juices to permeate. Raw red cabbage is also a good base for winter coleslaw.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE
1 small red cabbage, approx. 1kg
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
½ cup red wine
1 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 170C.
2. Cut the cabbage into quarters. Remove the core then shred thinly.
3. Into an ovenproof pan or large pot heat the butter. On a high heat stir through the cabbage for 1 minute. Then turn down for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add the onion, apple, red vinegar, red wine, ½ tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper stirring through.
5. Cover tightly with a lid or tinfoil and place into the oven for 1½ hours, until very soft. Stir once or twice during cooking.
6. Season to taste again before serving hot.Share this: