Eleanor Ozich's Raw Lemon, Coconut and Honey Truffles Recipe
Eleanor Ozich shares a sweet, simple recipe that's been a long-time favourite
A truffle is often my go-to for when I crave something little and tempting. These vibrant little morsels are a happy marriage of lemon zest, coconut and honey, bound together with ground almonds and a little coconut oil for richness. I first shared this recipe about five years ago, and it's still one I make time and again.
RAW LEMON, COCONUT AND HONEY TRUFFLES
Makes 20 bite-sized truffles
1½ cups unsweetened desiccated coconut, plus ½ cup for coating
1 cup ground almonds or rolled oats
4 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
4 Tbsp honey, maple or rice malt syrup
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp pure vanilla bean paste
A pinch of sea salt
1. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
2. Pulse 3-4 times, or until the mixture starts to come together like a dough.
3. Use your hands to form small balls.
4. In a separate bowl, add the extra coconut. Roll the balls in the coconut until well coated then transfer to a plate. Place in the fridge for at least half an hour to set.
5. The truffles can be kept at room temperature, but I find they are best kept in the fridge. Will keep for about a week, stored in an airtight container.