New Zealand Herald
Subscribe to E-Newsletter
Share and inspire...
Quick tweet this!
Post to your circles
This wonderfully delicious and hearty meal is perfect for when you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen. The dish is based around a gorgeously comforting butter bean mash, served with braised greens, a couple of slices of smoked salmon, a scattering of basil and cherry tomatoes.
The result is deceptively creamy and makes a wonderful nourishing lunch or simple wholesome dinner.
GARLICKY BUTTER BEAN MASH TOPPED WITH SMOKED SALMON AND BRAISED GREENS Serves 2-3
• 2 cans drained butter beans• 1 cup good quality vegetable or chicken stock• 3 Tbsp butter, ghee or olive oil, plus a little extra for greasing• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced• Sea salt and pepper• Large bunch spinach or silverbeet, rinsed and roughly chopped• 200g smoked salmon slices• 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced in half• Large handful basil, roughly chopped
1. Place butter beans and stock in a saucepan.
Bring to the boil and simmer until almost all stock has cooked off.
2. Add butter, ghee or olive oil, garlic and a good pinch of sea salt and pepper. Mash well.
3. Grease a small saucepan and add rinsed spinach or silverbeet. Cook 1-2 minutes or until wilted. Season to taste.
4. To serve, divide mash and wilted greens between 2-3 bowls. Top with a couple of slices of smoked salmon, a scattering of basil and cherry tomatoes.
*Gluten free*Dairy free (if olive oil is used)
Nutella Pinwheel Biscuits Recipe
Snapper Recipe with Asparagus and Whipped Feta
Beetroot Tarte Tatin Recipe
Waffle Recipe with Poached Tamarillo
Pancake Recipe with Bacon and Crispy Sage
Gingernut Biscuits Recipe with Orange Zest
Root Vegetable Recipes
Sweet and Savoury Pie Recipes
Coconut Milk Soup Recipe With Lobster
3 Chickpea Recipes
There's no better place to cook than outdoors when the sun's out - try these summer BBQ recipes.