New Zealand Herald
Subscribe to E-Newsletter
Share and inspire...
Quick tweet this!
Post to your circles
SLOW-ROASTED PORK LEG WITH POMEGRANATE SLAWServes 6-8
• 1.5kg pork leg, bone in• 4 cups coffee, cooled• ¼ cup salt• 2 Tbsp rosemary, roughly chopped• ¼ cup brown sugar• 2 onions, sliced• 6 cloves garlic, chopped• 1 cup strong coffee• 1 cup cider• 1 cup chicken stock• 2 sprigs rosemary• 2 Tbsp mustard• 1 Tbsp sea salt• Freshly ground pepper• ¼ cup maple syrup
Slaw• ¼ cabbage, shredded• ½ red onion• 60g kale, shredded• ¼ red pepper, sliced thinly• ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Dressing• Mix together ¼ cup good mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp pomegranate syrup and 1 Tbsp lemon juice.1. Place the pork in a large bowl or bucket. Add the coffee, salt, rosemary and brown sugar. Leave to soak, refrigerated, for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
2. Set oven to 140C.
3. Remove pork from the marinade and pat dry. Place in a large baking dish.
4. Add the onion, garlic, coffee, cider, chicken stock and rosemary. Rub the pork with the mustard, sea salt and pepper. Cover with a lid or tinfoil. Place in the preheated oven for 4 hours. Check after 2 hours and turn the meat over. Remove from the oven and strain off the liquid.
5. Turn the oven up to 200C. Top the pork with maple syrup and return it to the oven for a further 10 minutes to brown the top. Remove from the oven and shred with two forks.
6. Mix the slaw ingredients together with the pomegranate dressing. Serve the pork with slaw and crusty bread.
Nutella Pinwheel Biscuits Recipe
Snapper Recipe with Asparagus and Whipped Feta
Beetroot Tarte Tatin Recipe
Waffle Recipe with Poached Tamarillo
Pancake Recipe with Bacon and Crispy Sage
Gingernut Biscuits Recipe with Orange Zest
Root Vegetable Recipes
Sweet and Savoury Pie Recipes
Coconut Milk Soup Recipe With Lobster
3 Chickpea Recipes
There's no better place to cook than outdoors when the sun's out - try these summer BBQ recipes.