Recipe: Spiced Feijoa and Apple Brown Rice Bircher
Petite Kitchen's Eleanor Ozich shares her recipe for spiced feijoa and apple brown rice bircher
This surprisingly light and delicious bircher breakfast is wonderfully simple to make, and can even be prepared the night before. In this recipe I have used brown rice flakes instead of traditional oats for a nourishing and wholesome gluten-free version.
The addition of a little spice, feijoas and grated apple makes for a delicate yet delightful breakfast. You could use almost any variety of fresh fruit, and milk of your choice. I absolutely love coconut milk, although nut, oat or cows' milk all work wonderfully.
SIMPLE SPICED FEJOA & APPLE BROWN RICE BIRCHER
• ½ cup brown rice flakes
• ¾ cup milk of your choice*
• ½ cup shredded coconut
• 1 apple, grated
• 2-3 feijoas, flesh scooped out and roughly chopped
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus a little extra for sprinkling
• Honey, maple or brown rice syrup to sweeten (optional)
• A handful of slivered almonds, or crushed nuts of your choice
1. In a medium-sized bowl, jar or container, add all the ingredients.
2. Mix until well combined and then place in fridge overnight, or for at least 1-2 hours.
To serve, add a little honey, maple or brown rice syrup to sweeten if you like, although I find the addition of fruit is enough for me. Top with a little fresh fruit, a scattering of nuts and an extra dusting of cinnamon if you desire.
*refined sugar free