Blackbird Goods: Hawke's Bay's Must-See Lifestyle Store
With an eye for beautiful objects, a dynamic duo curates crafts and lifestyle items from Hawke's Bay and beyond
Gemma Adams and Nathan Speeden moved to sunny Hawke’s Bay in 2014, opening their lifestyle store Blackbird Goods in 2015.
With a focus on natural materials and neutral tones, they offer treasures from local creatives as well as from around New Zealand and abroad (they recently returned from a holiday and sourcing trip to Bali).
Think beautiful linen kimonos, fragrance from Curio Noir, pieces from Nature Baby, ceramics from local potter Louis Kittleson and more, all beautifully presented in their light and airy space in Napier.
“We hope to stand out for our ‘mom and pop’ vibe, our thoughtful selection with consideration for both environment and mankind, and a nod to the maker and craftsman,” says Gemma, who also works as an interior stylist and has a loyal social-media following.
On Instagram (@blackbirdgem) she shares photos of daughter Margot, a look into their home renovations and shots of local excursions — the family living the laid-back Hawke’s Bay dream.
“I feel there is something truly magical about Hawke’s Bay, you really get a feel for each season here, with clear definition,” she says. “From the blossoms of spring, the barren gold of summer, the change in the leaves during autumn and the crisp blue skies of winter, it’s really beautiful.”
She agrees with the growing creative community, something she and Nathan are excited to be part of.
“With the rise in living costs in the bigger cities we are seeing some talented folk moving here, but I think a mixture of beautiful architecture, abundant eateries, great climate and a slower pace makes it all the more appealing, and of course, being a wine province doesn’t hurt either!”
• Blackbird Goods, 25 Dalton St, Napier South, Napier 4110. Visit Blackbirdgoods.co.nz
- Take To The High Seas In These Nautical-Inspired Outfits
- Ricotta Devilled Eggs Recipe
- Viva Highlights: Our Favourite Looks From Milan Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2021
- Sails Force: Benedikt Horber Is Making The America's Cup An Exciting Spectacle
- Greek Kumara & Lamb Sausage Rolls Recipe
- Craving A Restaurant Fix? These Beloved Auckland Eateries Are Doing Takeaway Specials