Actress & Performance Artist Moe 'Mistress' Laga's Beauty Routine
The Vogue culture specialist talks channelling her 'goddesses' Lisa Bonet, Diana Ross and Janet Jackson ahead of her latest performance, Ethera
What do Lisa Bonet, Diana Ross and Janet Jackson have in common?
They’re counted as some of Moe ‘Mistress’ Laga’s biggest influences when it came to cementing her transgendered identity. Affectionately known as Moe’s ‘goddesses’, these three powerful women inspired Moe’s unapologetic approach to beauty through their own journeys of self.
28-year-old Moe comprises one-eighth of Coven, a South Auckland-based arts collective which specialises in voguing and performance arts. New Zealand’s burgeoning answer to New York’s Vogue Ballroom Scene, Coven celebrates queer Pacific culture through “celebratory party rituals and the sweat of their dancing chocolate bodies.”
The robust collective famously appeared in Vice’s Underground Vogue Scene documentary in 2017, but will deliver a whole new energy to the stage when their latest performance, Ethera, opens at Auckland’s Basement Theatre tonight.
Ethera explores the universe’s super computer and its influence on past, present and future knowledge in an hour-long, perception-bending performance.
Supported by LGBTQ arts collective FAFSWAG (of which Moe has been a member since 2012), Ethera will run until February 16.
Daily beauty routine
It varies on what I'm doing but I want to look passable. I always start by washing my face and lathering my skin in coconut oil or cocoa butter. Then I apply concealer and foundation. Winged cat eyes are a must, as well as strong brows.
Hair and its care
Natural darling! I wash my hair every second day. I used to be a weave girl but I'm all about channelling Diana Ross and Janet Jackson.
Four favourite products
- Fenty Beauty Killawatt Foil Highlighter helps accentuate my face and who doesn't love to shine!
- Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eye Liner in Blackest Black creates the best cat eyes.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade for fleeky eyebrows because if your brows are done your face is done.
- Jeffree Star The Androgynous Palette I use safe wood and dominatrix on my creases and under my eyes because eyes are the gateway to your soul!
Best beauty treatment in Auckland?
Otahuhu $5 holler threading — it’s like natural Botox and waaay cheaper!
My beauty idol would be Lisa Bonnet because she is youthful, glowy and natural. Her face is iconic.
Last beauty buy?
A Fenty Beauty Highlighter I stole from Father Fang (the father of the house of Coven)!
Fenty Beauty’s new concealer!
All about embracing your flaws in an iconic way.
- The Rise & Rise Of New Zealand Pop Sensation Benee
- Green Falafels With Tahini & Lemon Yoghurt
- Raw Brownies With Salted Caramel Nut Butter
- Laneway Festival (Obviously) & Other Fun Things To Do This Weekend
- Paris Hilton's Hilarious Attempt At Making Lasange Proves She's The Kitchen Muse We All Need
- What To Wear To The Office In 2020: Viva's Polished Wardrobe Picks