The Best Eye Creams & Serums To Add To Your Beauty Routine
The delicate eye area eagerly absorbs targeted treatment, just choose with care
Jennifer Lopez looks eye-poppingly good for her age, so it’s no wonder when word got out about an eye cream she uses, sales soared. The J-Lo effect even reached New Zealand, where the Australasian distributor of the German-made product is based. In late January she saw an unexpected surge in online action on her website, later learning this was due to Australian media picking up on Hollywood reports.
Celebrity “endorsements” (often hearsay reports) can sure be a boon to business, but they do come thick and fast. We see far fewer about cosmetic procedures than cosmetic products. A quick Google “revealed” several other eye creams J-Lo was said to swear by. But to be fair about the reports concerning Biotulin, they’re based on a tweet from the star herself, thanking the brand, which has been dubbed bio-Botox and buzzily also contains hemp seed oil in its lifting concentrate for the eyes.
That said, what 50-year-old J-Lo liked this recent awards season may not necessarily be the best match for you, so read on . . .
Whether you’ve been burning the candle at both ends, squinting into a screen or counting down on gravity will help determine your eye product needs. If fine lines and wrinkles are your main eye concern, look to creams and lotions, thanks to their smoothing and soothing emollient effect.
For dark circles or puffiness, consider a gel or a light lotion base, as these are good carriers for ingredients to counteract the shadowy or baggy effect. Gels can also moisturise effectively as bearers of the likes of hyaluronic acid. They wear well in warm weathers and on oily skin. Creams have a cosseting effect, so suit night-time use particularly well. Liquid serums containing anti-oxidants such as vitamin C help brighten skin when used over time and can be layered under creams.
Some eye products use illuminators for brightening and silicones for smoothness. These will not deliver lasting results unless combined with ingredients that offer more than a superficial visual effect. Expect to use for about a month to see any real improvement but those promising both immediate and lasting action do have the benefit of instant gratification while you await more substantial progress. Here are a few to consider, including you know whose . . .
8. Kiehl’s Vitamin C Eye Serum $99, tri-peptide targets crow’s feet, under-eye darkness and texture in lightweight layerable formula. From Kiehl’s Sylvia Park and Westfield Albany and selected department stores including Smith & Caughey’s
9. Environ Skin EssentiaA Eye Gel $70, pincer movement on ageing effects from antioxidants and plumping amino acids. Psb.net.nz
EYE CARE TIPS
- Pat rather than rub eye cream in, as this won’t drag and damage the area’s delicate skin.
- A pea-sized amount, warmed between fingers, is plenty to spread around both eyes.
- Use your ring fingers for a lighter touch than from your stronger index or middle fingers.
- Apply gently in a semi-circle about 1cm under the eye, moving outward and upward.
- The cream will spread a little with wear after application to reach nearer the eyes.
- Avoid going too close to tear ducts and lashes or on eye lids as this causes watering.
- Extend use around the eye contour including along the orbital bone under your brow.
- Lighter before heavier is skincare’s rule, so layer to suit your choice of serum and moisturiser.
- Let your eye cream settle before applying concealer or foundation, to avoid product “shift”.
The Hairstylist Turned Chemical Engineer Creating A Next-Generation Beauty Brand
Saturday March 19, 2022
- Restaurant Review: Find Charming Charcuterie At Bar Martin
- Have A Sensual Slice Of Electro-Pop & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- The Pacific Fusion Fashion Show Returns, Showcasing Emerging Maori & Pacific Designers
- Lisa Webb: “Houses Don’t Have To Be Large — Just Thoughtful”
- Jarvis Cocker Wants You To Know About Good Pop & Bad Pop
- Have This Salmon, Couscous & Broccoli Rice Bowl On Repeat