Ruby's Anna-Lise Sharma's Beauty Routine
Ruby’s head of marketing and business development shares her no-fuss approach to beauty
Business savvy and fluent in all things marketing, Anna-Lise Sharma is also an impeccably presented example of the Ruby girl. The switched-on brunette is an integral part of driving the New Zealand fashion label both here and abroad. For Sharma, Ruby is a family affair, with brother Liam, sister Emily and parents Vere and Christine all working for the company.
Early makeup memories
I was always fascinated by my mother and older sister’s makeup routine growing up. I would always watch them apply their makeup before they went out. I was lucky enough to be able to help myself to their collection and still remember stealing my sister’s hair mascara, so I could channel a very 1990s Spice Girl look, and her lipstick that turned from green to pink. OMG.
For me, beauty is a super fresh, no-fuss look. I’m all about getting the basics right in terms of skincare and utilising makeup to allow your unique features to shine through.
I start the day with a quick cleanse using Caudalie’s Gentle Cleansing Milk, followed by their Premieres Vendanges Moisturiser (mixed in with Rosehip & Manuka Face Oil from Isla & Olive) and their Resveratrol Eye Cream. Protecting my skin from our harsh New Zealand sun is an essential part of my routine — I use Glossier’s Invisible Shield Daily Sunscreen. At the end of the day, I use Lancôme’s Bi-Facial eye make-up remover. I follow this with a cleanse and then apply Caudalie’s Overnight Detox Oil.
My daily makeup routine is pretty simple. I apply Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturiser in nude, a touch of Glossier’s Stretch Concealer followed by Nars’ Bronzer in Laguna for a summer glow. I give my cheeks a bit of a lift with Glossier Cloud Paint in Beam. For eyes, I use Lancôme’s Hypnose Doll Eyes and I’ll sometimes apply a liquid liner, too. For lips, I love Glossier’s sheer Matte Lipstick in Cake for a natural day look.
Five favourite products
1.Lancôme’s Hypnose Doll Eyes Mascara. I’m really into long lashes and find that this mascara gives me amazing length without too much volume.
2. Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturiser in Nude. This product is my go-to every day, giving me the perfect amount of coverage.
3. Glossier Cloud Paint in Beam. I’m a total Glossier geek and love using this daily on my cheeks and sometimes my lids for a pop of colour.
4. Glossier Boy Brow. I’m a brows girl so this is another Glossier essential that I swear by. It gives my brows more definition and shape.
5. M.A.C Cosmetics’ Lipstick in Lady Danger. I love a red lip when I’m heading out and have never found a shade better than this.
I favour the ‘less is more’ approach both in style and beauty. It pains me to think about some of the shocking things we used to do growing up, like ironing my hair. I’m all about beautiful products that will last a long time and am now more careful about what I put on my skin.
Hair and its care
I’ve got incredibly thick hair and need to have it tamed regularly by the amazing Lauren Gunn at Colleen. Day to day, I’m guilty of over-washing my hair and use Christophe Robin’s Prickly Pear Shampoo and Rose Conditioner. For the best blow dry I use my ghd Air — favourite tool ever!
A lick of mascara.
Last beauty buy
Korres’ Wild Rose Instant Brightening Mask. I love taking a moment a few times a week to care for my skin and find this vitamin-C rich mask gives my skin a nutrient boost and smells delicious too.
All about the confidence that comes from within.
The Hairstylist Turned Chemical Engineer Creating A Next-Generation Beauty Brand
Saturday March 19, 2022
- Looks Of The Week 27/05/22
- Line Up! How To Add Pizzazz To Your Interiors With All-Season Stripes
- Sweeten Your Day With This Coffee & Hazelnut Cake
- Restaurant Review: Find Charming Charcuterie At Bar Martin
- Have A Sensual Slice Of Electro-Pop & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- The Pacific Fusion Fashion Show Returns, Showcasing Emerging Maori & Pacific Designers