Brand To Know: Girl Undiscovered
Celebrate the free-spirited girl within with this new local skincare brand sourced from nature
Three inspiring Auckland women have come together to launch a new business celebrating the free-spirited girl within all of us. Charlotte Devereux, Sara Orme and Philly Gebbie have pooled their expertise in a new skincare company designed to be equally about the feel-good as the look-good factor.
Girl Undiscovered is their brand, with its hero ingredient, thanaka, drawn from Myanmar, where the tree bark is used to ritually adorn and protect. Charlotte became intrigued about its use during research for a new project after selling her maternity wear business Egg. Drawing on a family background in product formulation — her mother started Les Floralies and her brother runs Matakana Botanicals — she travelled to the isolated country to set about obtaining ethical supplies of wild-grown thanaka from small family traders.
Philly, back in New Zealand after decades in Asia, is steering overseas business development. She helped source coconut oil from near the birthplace of one of her four Balinese adopted children. Photographer Sara, who has a background in women’s studies, is in charge of creative direction. The skincare is, they say, for “smart, savvy girls of all ages”. The simply appealing range features a thanaka-rich mask, a face oil and micellar cleansing water. Body and lip oils will follow.
Take a trip to Myanmar with this digitally focused trio to learn more about the role thanaka plays. Visit GirlUndiscovered.com
- Real Weddings: Sarah Lindsay & Joshua Preston At Alberton House, Mt Albert
- The Jellyologist Has Released Recipe Kits So You Can Make Grown-Up Jelly At Home
- JessB's First Headline Tour & Other Fun Things To Do This Weekend
- Melon With Mint, Lime & Pink Sea Salt
- Real Weddings: Saru Krishnasamy & Samir Allen At Glasshouse, Morningside
- Restaurant Review: The Garden Shed Offers A Sense Of Sanctuary In Mt Eden