7 Fun Things to do This Weekend 21/07/16
Get out of the house this weekend with these events around town
1. The New Zealand Orchid Society hold its annual winter show this weekend. Rather than spend the weekend scrolling through Instagram, why not enjoy orchids of all varieties or purchase one of your own?
— Mt Albert War Memorial Hall, 773 New North Rd, Mt Albert, Auckland, July 23-24.
2. Ladyhawke has been touring the world to promote her latest album Wild Things, with the NZ leg hitting our shores this weekend. Her third studio album was recorded in LA with producer Tommy English.
— Bodega, Wellington & The Powerstation, Auckland, July 22-23.
3. Get your fix of independent print at the Auckland Zinefest market day. This Sunday at the Auckland Art Gallery, there will be works for sale from over 60 zine makers.
— Auckland Art Gallery, Corner Kitchener and Wellesley Sts, Auckland, July 24.
4. Get your skates on and head to the ice rink in Aotea Square for the last weekend of the attraction.
— Aotea Square, Auckland, until July 24.
5. Coming of age classic The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time has been reimagined by British playwright Simon Stephens, and is being brought to the stage by the Auckland Theatre Company.
— Q Theatre, 305 Queen St, Auckland, July 21-August 14.
6. New Zealand’s Best 2016 will screen six short films from the competition finalists on Saturday night. Ranging between 6-23 minutes, narratives this year include a scrap-metal merchant turned singer by night, and a mad scientist on the hunt for a new food source.
— Skycity Theatre, 78 Victoria St West, Auckland, July 23.
7. Visit Kōrero Mai, Kōrero Atu at the Auckland Museum. This exhibition shows works from artists Areta Wilkinson and Te Rongo Kirkwood, exploring their relationship to historical objects from the Museum’s collections.
— Auckland War Memorial Museum, Auckland Domain, until September 11.