8 Fun Things to Do This Weekend 16/06/16
Get out and about this weekend and head to the night markets, Matariki events or a designer sale
1. The Night Noodle Market hits Wellington this weekend in celebration of Asian street food. The event features stalls from 15 vendors, including local restaurants Dumpling’d and Monsoon Poon. Head along for your fix of dumplings, noodles or even Asian-style chicken and chips.
— Wellington waterfront, June 15 – 19.
2. This weekend is your last chance to visit Fiona Pardington: A Beautiful Hesitation. The exhibition spans 30 years of the artist’s body of work, with over 100 photographs on display.
— Auckland Art Gallery, Corner Kitchener and Wellesley Sts, until June 19.
3. Eat Auckland is hosting a series of walking food tours of Dominion Rd, stopping off at six Chinese restaurants and three stores in order to experience the best food in an area known for Chinese cuisine and culture.
— Tour begins at corner of Rocklands Ave and Dominion Rd, Auckland, June 19 & 26, July 2, 3 & 9. Booking necessary.
4. The Aotea Square ice rink opens this Friday for the winter season, with the 35-metre double-lane ice slide also making a comeback.
— Aotea Square, Auckland, June 17-July 24.
5. Auckland Museum will host Sit & Knit this Saturday, a 'knitting bee' in the style of those held during The First World War to knit for soldiers. The purpose is to knit 1000 peggy squares for a blanket to be donated to the Auckland City Mission.
— Auckland Museum, June 18.
6. Matariki Festival kicks off on Saturday and there’s a massive line-up of music, art and food events on over the next month, celebrating the rise of the seven stars of Matariki that signify the Maori New Year.
— Various locations throughout the country, June 18-July 17.
7. Vacancy will host a clearance sale at Flying Fish studio this weekend, with 50 to 80 per cent off stock from brands such as Vanishing Elephant, Dr Denim, Sol Sana and more.
— Flying Fish, 230 Ponsonby Rd, Auckland, June 17-19.
8. Head to the first ever jewellery sale from local jewellers Meadowlark, with samples and previous styles at great prices.
— 12 Melrose St, Newmarket, Auckland, June 17–19.