9 Fun Things to Do This Weekend 12/05/16
Why not visit an exhibition, designer fashion sale or catch a movie this weekend?
1. The Trelise Cooper Design Room Sale is back this weekend. The designer will open the doors to her headquarters in Newmarket, with samples, past-season pieces and overseas media ranges for sale - with at least 60 per cent off.
— 8 Lion Place, Newmarket, May 14-15.
2. Jack Trolove is exhibiting a series of portraits at Whitespace gallery titled Medicinal Skins. The works explore skin through abstract slicks of paint applied with a knife. Reading as faces from afar, the paintings become abstracted the closer that they are viewed.
— 12 Crummer Rd, Ponsonby, until May 29.
3. The latest addition to Eugenie’s Ponsonby store, Victory Books will offer over 400 archival copies of The Face and i-D magazines for $5 each. To celebrate they are hosting a "market day" on Saturday, with Allpress coffee and cookies.
— 51 Mackelvie St, Ponsonby, May 14.
4. Celebrate New Zealand Music Month with the vast line-up of events happening in May. This weekend is no exception: Ladi6 will play in Wanaka, and the Auckland Vintage Jazz Society at the Takapuna Boating Club.
— Various venues throughout the country, until May 31.
5. The Auckland Writers Festival has begun, with an inspiring line-up across the weekend. There are limited tickets still available to some events, as well as free events such as Great Reads 2016 - where Edinburgh Book Festival director Nick Barley and Booker Prize winning novelist Eleanor Catton will speak about their favourite pieces of writing.
— Various venues throughout Auckland, until May 15.
6. Auction house Mossgreen-Webb’s will be showing Max Dupain (1911-1992): Estate Photographs this weekend. The photographs capture Australia's cityscapes and quintessential beach culture, including Dupain's famous shot Sunbaker, taken in 1937.
— 23-25 Falcon Street, Parnell, May 14-15.
7. In tribute to Prince, Matakana Cinemas will screen Purple Rain on Friday. The 1984 film was Prince’s acting debut, following the rise of a Minneapolis musician as he escapes his unsettled home life through music.
— 2 Matakana Valley Rd, Matakana, May 13.
8. Catch a film showing at one of the many film festivals currently on - including the Resene Architecture & Design Film Festival, both the Italian & Spanish Film Festivals at Academy Cinemas and the Doc Edge Festival.
— Cinemas throughout the country, various dates until July 13.
9. Clevedon Costumes and Vintage Apparel hosts creative workshops throughout the month. This weekend there’s a vintage hat adaption class – take along a tired hat and learn how to upcycle it.
— 20 Papakura-Clevedon Rd, Clevedon, May 14.
For more events, see our May culture guide
- Watch: The Winners Of The iD International Emerging Designer Awards
- Why We're Excited About The Others Way Music Festival 2020
- 12 Stylish People On Instagram Who Prove Age Is Irrelevant
- New Label Sarah Bell Launches With Nostalgic Limited Collection
- Drink Your Way To Better Skin With These Six Skin-Loving Elixirs
- Rachel Khoo's New Podcast & Whether Veganism Can Really Save The Planet