9 Fun Things to Do This Weekend 12/05/16
Why not visit an exhibition, designer fashion sale or catch a movie this weekend?
1. The Trelise Cooper Design Room Sale is back this weekend. The designer will open the doors to her headquarters in Newmarket, with samples, past-season pieces and overseas media ranges for sale - with at least 60 per cent off.
— 8 Lion Place, Newmarket, May 14-15.
2. Jack Trolove is exhibiting a series of portraits at Whitespace gallery titled Medicinal Skins. The works explore skin through abstract slicks of paint applied with a knife. Reading as faces from afar, the paintings become abstracted the closer that they are viewed.
— 12 Crummer Rd, Ponsonby, until May 29.
3. The latest addition to Eugenie’s Ponsonby store, Victory Books will offer over 400 archival copies of The Face and i-D magazines for $5 each. To celebrate they are hosting a "market day" on Saturday, with Allpress coffee and cookies.
— 51 Mackelvie St, Ponsonby, May 14.
4. Celebrate New Zealand Music Month with the vast line-up of events happening in May. This weekend is no exception: Ladi6 will play in Wanaka, and the Auckland Vintage Jazz Society at the Takapuna Boating Club.
— Various venues throughout the country, until May 31.
5. The Auckland Writers Festival has begun, with an inspiring line-up across the weekend. There are limited tickets still available to some events, as well as free events such as Great Reads 2016 - where Edinburgh Book Festival director Nick Barley and Booker Prize winning novelist Eleanor Catton will speak about their favourite pieces of writing.
— Various venues throughout Auckland, until May 15.
6. Auction house Mossgreen-Webb’s will be showing Max Dupain (1911-1992): Estate Photographs this weekend. The photographs capture Australia's cityscapes and quintessential beach culture, including Dupain's famous shot Sunbaker, taken in 1937.
— 23-25 Falcon Street, Parnell, May 14-15.
7. In tribute to Prince, Matakana Cinemas will screen Purple Rain on Friday. The 1984 film was Prince’s acting debut, following the rise of a Minneapolis musician as he escapes his unsettled home life through music.
— 2 Matakana Valley Rd, Matakana, May 13.
8. Catch a film showing at one of the many film festivals currently on - including the Resene Architecture & Design Film Festival, both the Italian & Spanish Film Festivals at Academy Cinemas and the Doc Edge Festival.
— Cinemas throughout the country, various dates until July 13.
9. Clevedon Costumes and Vintage Apparel hosts creative workshops throughout the month. This weekend there’s a vintage hat adaption class – take along a tired hat and learn how to upcycle it.
— 20 Papakura-Clevedon Rd, Clevedon, May 14.
For more events, see our May culture guide
All The Glittering Highlights From This Year’s Melbourne Cup Day At Viaduct Harbour
Thursday Nov. 7, 2019Sponsored
All The Highlights From The Club Viva Screening Of Gloria Bell, Presented By Rialto Cinemas
Wednesday May 1, 2019
- Want To Break Up With Fast Fashion? This New Book Is Here To Help
- Celebrate Chinese New Year With These Red Hot Beauty Products
- Old-Fashioned Tomato & Onion 'Pie'
- 9 Wardrobe Staples You'll Find In Every Stylish Royal's Repertoire
- Favourite Things: Sunday Best Design Studio's Georgia Yates & Logan Smith
- Green Tomato Tabbouleh