Fun Things to Do This Weekend 17/08/17
Get ready to dress for spring, browse markets or make some new canine pals this weekend
1. Kate Sylvester Spring/Summer Launch
Just in time for some (slightly) warmer weather, Kate Sylvester's Marisol collection is launching in stores across Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch on Friday. Sweet treats, wine from Huia Vineyards and Antipodes water will be on offer if you stop by during the afternoon. Marisol's soft floral prints and embroidery, pops of bright colour, and blues reminiscent of clear skies will have you excited for spring.
• Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Friday August 18, 12pm-6pm. Visit Katesylvester.com
2. The Germaine Greer Series by Matt Ellwood
Australian-born intellectual and pioneering feminist Germaine Greer was arrested for using a relatively mild expletive during a public lecture at Auckland's town hall in 1972. For this exhibition, Matt Ellwood created drawings to mark the 40th anniversary of the bizarre conviction which recreate censored versions of the advertisements that featured in her Playboy interview, also from 1972. There's also an interactive installation called Swear Like Greer.
• Melanie Roger Gallery, 444 K Rd, Newton. Until September 9. Visit Melanierogergallery.com
3. Dog and Grog
Clip your pup on a leash and head to Pocket Bar to meet other dog-parents and their pooches at Dog and Grog. A vet will be there to answer questions, as well as nurses from VetCare Grey Lynn to make sure your best friend's in top shape.
• Pocket Bar & Kitchen, 592 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn. Saturday August 19, 12pm-2.30pm.
4. The Factory Markets
From hand-made bags, clothes, ceramics and stylish glasses, to doughnuts and crumpets,The Factory Markets are well worth a browse this Sunday. You're bound to find something that's one-of-a-kind and supporting local creatives is always a good idea.
• The Factory Markets, 31 Arrenway Drive, Rosedale. Visit Thefactorymarkets.com
This "gripping and responsive fable" plays out through Samoan oral traditions, movement and sound, combined with digital projection and the poetry of Tusiata Avia. The show says it "unveils a world known only to Samoans through whispers". We're intrigued. Also on at The Basement this week is dark comedy The Afreakans, a show about leaving home as you know it and starting over again.
• Both plays are on at The Basement, Lower Greys Ave, Auckland Central, until Saturday August 19, tickets $19-$22.50 from Basementtheatre.co.nz.
6. Miloux EP2 Release Party
If you're heading to this show, you better be ready to dance. Listen to the first single Paris and get excited to hear the next four songs first hand. Miloux (Rebecca Melrose) has an amazing voice and a knack for creating experimental electronic tracks you'll want to play on repeat.
• Kings Arms Tavern, 59 Frances St, Eden Tce. Tickets $10 from Undertheradar.co.nz
7. Matilda the Musical
It's finally here: The song and dance version of the Roald Dahl classic Matilda opens this weekend after entertaining audiences across the globe. It's set to be a spectacular show that you should not miss.
• The Civic, cnr Queen and Wellesley Sts, Auckland Central, from Friday August 18 to October 22. Tickets $65-$175 from Aucklandlive.co.nz
A Streetcar Named Desire, Q Theatre, Auckland, August 24-September 16
Studio Ghibli Film Festival, Academy Cinema, Auckland, August 24-September 20
Show Me Shorts Film Festival, The Civic, Auckland, October 28
Aldous Harding, The Civic, Auckland, December 2
All The Glittering Highlights From This Year’s Melbourne Cup Day At Viaduct Harbour
Thursday Nov. 7, 2019Sponsored
All The Highlights From The Club Viva Screening Of Gloria Bell, Presented By Rialto Cinemas
Wednesday May 1, 2019
Six Reasons To Escape To Melbourne This March, Flying Virgin Australia
Wednesday March 13, 2019Sponsored
- 10 Of The Most Wearable Menswear Trends From Paris Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2020
- Work It: 8 Beauty Products That Deserve Pride Of Place On Your Desk
- Wholesome Apricot Oat Slice
- 4 Classic Trends That Will Instantly Update Your Work Wardrobe
- Cauliflower, Courgette & Chickpea Bake
- Louis Vuitton's Latest Celeb-Filled Campaign Is A Nostalgic Celebration Of Pop Culture