Fun Things to Do This Weekend 27/10/16
Get your culture fix with film, music and food this weekend
1.Victoria will hit screens this Sunday, with the eight episode series following Queen Victoria’s early years in power as she takes to the throne as an 18-year-old.
— TV One, Sundays from October 30, 8.30pm.
2. From present day right back to the 1950s, new exhibition Volume: Making Music in Aotearoa will take you on a journey through the history of New Zealand music. Interactive displays mean you can live out your rock-star dreams in a recording studio or have some fun spinning the decks.
— Auckland Museum, October 28-May 21, 2017.
3. Celebrate all things Mexican this Saturday with Auckland’s first ever Mexfestival. Be entertained by Mexican folk dance, a Mariachi band and a Day of the Dead altar exhibition, not to mention traditional Mexican food.
— The Cloud, 89 Quay St, Auckland, October 29.
4. Directed by Leo Gene Peters, Don Juan promises to be a night of comedy that celebrates the fool in all of us, depicting failed attempts at the selves we wish we could be.
— Q Theatre, 305 Queen St, Auckland, until November 12.
5. Don McGlashan and Shayne Carter will finish up their tour of the country this weekend, including a performance at The Crystal Palace. The pair have also recorded their set at Auckland studio The Lab, meaning you can purchase a CD after the show to remember the night by.
— Various locations across the country, until October 30.
6. Local young filmmakers Au Revoir Shosanna Productions will be fundraising with a screening of cult classic Cat People this Friday night - the 1942 film cleverly uses shadows and “creative audio cues” to build suspense.
— Academy Cinemas, Central Library Building, 44 Lorne St, Auckland, October 28.
7. Join Kim Evans from Little and Friday for High Tea and Bubbles on Saturday afternoon, to celebrate the launch of her new cookbook Little and Friday Every Meal. A great chance to sample savoury and sweet treats from the cookbook, as well as pick up a signed copy to take home. If you'd prefer to stay at home instead, why not attempt to make Little and Friday's banoffee pie?
— Takapuna War Memorial Hall, 5 The Strand, Takapuna, October 29.
8. Furniture and homewares online store Mood will be holding a pop-up this weekend, offering shoppers a special 10 per cent off opening discount.
— 88 Broadway, Newmarket.
- How Track Pants Became 2020's Breakout Wardrobe Star
- Tommy Hilfiger On The State Of America & Opening A New Zealand Flagship Store
- Meet The Nose Behind Aesop's Unexpected New Rose Fragrance
- From Helpful Apps To Mindful Pottery: The Myriad Ways To Mark Mental Health Awareness Week
- Moana Maniapoto & The Enduring Legacy Of 'AEIOU'
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: US Supreme Court Judge & Liberal Icon Dies Aged 87