Fun Things To Do This Weekend 30/11/17
It's the first weekend of summer and we've found the best ways for you to spend it
1. Harry Styles
Embarking on his debut concert tour, Harry Styles is currently travelling off the back of his self-titled album, which topped charts when it was released earlier this year. If you caught his acting talents in Dunkirk, now's your chance to catch the triple-threat perform in Auckland, in what's sure to be a very impressive show.
• Spark Arena, December 2. Tickets from Ticketmaster.co.nz
2. Summer in the Square
Dozens of free events are set to take place in Aotea Square this summer, with performances kicking off tomorrow. One of the first performances is from Touch Compass — a mixed-ability dance troupe whose performances highlight futuristic technologies which help people with disabilities. Meanwhile, on Saturday, dance group Street Candee will showcase their "explosive" K-Pop dance moves, lead by Rina Chae, who's danced with the likes of Beyoncé and Justin Bieber.
• Aotea Square, Auckland City. December 1- February 4. Visit Aucklandlive.co.nz
3. Meet the Authors at Karen Walker's Book Salon
This Saturday, six popular authors will be in store for a signing session at Karen Walker and David Hedley's collaborative bookstore pop-up. Eleanor Ozich, Megan May, Jordan Rondel, Sarah Tuck, Catharine Chidgey and Sam Stuchbury will be available to meet and greet, providing a perfect opportunity to pick a Christmas gift for someone special and add a personalised touch to it.
• 6 Balm St, Newmarket, Auckland. Saturday December 2, 12-1pm.
4. Basement Theatre Christmas Show: Santa Claus
The Basement's annual Christmas offering is back for another season, and this time too many Aucklanders have made his naughty list and "Santa's ready to take the law into his own hands". Hayley Sproull, Jack Buchanan, Andrew Paterson and Susie Berry are set to take the stage each night while the rotating cast includes a long list of talented and well-known performers from theatre, TV, comedy, broadcasting and politics. As always, expect the unexpected — no two shows will be the same.
• Basement Theatre, Lower Greys Ave, Auckland City. Tickets from Basementtheatre.co.nz.
5. TEDx Auckland
Join dozens of inspiring speakers for this two-day festival of ideas, covering fields of social entrepreneurship, sustainability, design, sport, and outer space. Find out the amazing stories and goals of the diverse line-up of speakers —you may even be inspired to follow a new path yourself.
• Aotea Centre, 50 Mayoral Dr, December 1-2. Visit Tedxauckland.com.
6. Auckland Fashion and Music Gala
With performances from top musicians, a catwalk show, and delicious food, the Auckland Fashion and Music Gala is set to be a glamorous night out. Choose VIP tickets for pre-show refreshments and access to a special area, or gold seating which includes platters and complimentary wine with your ticket. Once the fashion show has finished, live music will keep the gala going until the wee hours.
• Auckland Netball Centre, 7 Allison Ferguson Dr, Stonefields. Friday, December 1, 6pm. Tickets from Iticket.co.nz.
7. New Zealand Flower and Garden Show
Celebrate spring with the first international garden show the North Island has seen since the Ellerslie Flower Show was moved to Christchurch. Explore beautifully designed gardens and enjoy seeing all the lush flowers in full bloom.
• The Trusts Arena, 65-67 Central Park Dr, Henderson. Until December 3, 10am-6pm. Tickets from Nzflowergardenshow.co.nz.
8. Elam Graduate Show
Catch the work of some of New Zealand's most exciting up-and-coming artists at Elam School of Fine Arts' graduate show this weekend. The gallery is open for four days, which include film screenings, performance, painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography and more from over 100 graduates.
• Elam School of Fine Arts Studios, various locations. November 30-December 3, 10am-5pm. Details on Facebook.
9. Steiner Ceramics Annual Sale
Browse through Steiner Ceramics' extras and seconds at clearance prices. There will be handmade tableware and lovely wall art available in Steiner's distinctive style for sale during the week, starting this Saturday.
• 104a Lansford Cres (entrance off Barrhead Place), Avondale. December 2-9, 10am-2pm. Visit Steinerceramics.co.nz
10. Collis Studios Open Day
Talented ceramicists Peter and Julie Collis are also holding their open day this weekend, with pieces available for sale. A rare chance to see the studio where their pieces are carefully made, and be tempted by their beautiful creations.
• 31 Tizard Rd, Birkenhead. Saturday, December 2, 10am-4pm. Visit Collis.co.nz
11. Independent Collective Christmas Pop-up
To help with the festive rush, Independent Collective are bringing together online fashion, homeware and beauty stores to create a mini department store pop-up in Newmarket. More satisfying than shopping online, their curated retail space will help you get some Christmas shopping sorted.
• 160 Broadway, Newmarket. Friday, December 1 to January 7. Visit Independentcollective.co.nz.
Things to book and look forward to
In Conversation with Yvette Noel-Schure, December 12
Wondergarden, December 31
ASB Classic, January 1-13
Lupe Fiasco, January 19
One Love Festival, January 27-28
Auckland Arts Festival, March 8-25
All The Glittering Highlights From This Year’s Melbourne Cup Day At Viaduct Harbour
Thursday Nov. 7, 2019Sponsored
All The Highlights From The Club Viva Screening Of Gloria Bell, Presented By Rialto Cinemas
Wednesday May 1, 2019
Six Reasons To Escape To Melbourne This March, Flying Virgin Australia
Wednesday March 13, 2019Sponsored
- Fundraisers, Viral Satire & More Things To Discover This Weekend
- Restaurant Review: Jesse Mulligan Returns To Amano
- The Duo Behind Orphans Kitchen Are Opening A New Restaurant In Britomart
- Photo Essay: Emma Anderson Captures Lockdown Life In New York
- Bright & Colourful Winter Wardrobe Updates
- Winter Lamb & Split Pea Persian Stew