Keep the summer holiday vibes going with a winter escape to the warm and sunny Gold Coast. Less than four hours away and with its famous beaches, fun and sunshine.
What better destination to book for a spontaneous girls’ getaway? The vibrant city is so much more than theme parks, with a variety of health-focused restaurants and cafes, glamorous bars, boutique shopping and a booming creative scene. Plan your trip with our pick of things to do on the sunny Gold Coast - bikini and sunscreen essential!
EAT, DRINK & ‘GRAM
There are so many exciting bars and restaurants to choose from, but these dishes from some of the Gold Coast’s best eateries taste just as good as they look.
- Smoothie or Acai bowl at Cardamom Pod, a much photographed vegetarian spot in Southport - beloved for its bohemian decor and healthy, colourful dishes.
- High tea at the opulent Palazzo Versace at Main Beach, under crystal chandeliers and served on fabulous Versace china. High tea and Champagne? Donatella would approve.
- Cocktails at Comuna Cantina, a Latin-inspired eatery at Pacific Fair. Try an arepa (taco burger) with their signature espresso martini - which you can decorate with Nutella, Tim Tams or Jaffas.
- Dessert at Rick Shores, an iconic beachside spot at Burleigh Heads - head there around sunset for one of their wonderful desserts. The chocolate parfait with brown rice miso and potato skin - yes, really - is a must-try.
Want to try something different to the golden sands of Gold Coast beaches? Book into The Bath House, a “communal unisex bathhouse and modern rejuvenation space” inspired by Moroccan bathhouses. The appointment only space features an outdoor shower, hydrotherapy spas, a eucalyptus wet steam room, outdoor magnesium plunge pool, red cedar dry sauna and sun deck - so you can soak, steam and relax before hitting the town or heading back to the beach. Plus, the Luxe treatments, from $70 for a soak session or $170 for a massage treatment, come with a delicious plant based lunch and Champagne or kombucha.
- 7/37A Tallebudgera Creek Road, Burleigh Heads. Visit greenhousethebathhouse.com
NEW & NOTED
Head to charming boutique shopping complex Cornerstone Stores for a selection of thoughtful retailers with a focus on style and wellness - from Prae Store’s activewear to lifestyle boutique Kind Curations. There’s also The Body Method yoga studio and beauty salon Earth Essence, and for foodies, Quince Fromagerie and the health-focused Stable Coffee Kitchen cafe.
- 570 Gold Coast Highway, Tugun. Visit Cornerstonestores.com
The LC Miami
This newly opened marketplace brings together food and shopping over two-levels - with “plant based” restaurants and cafes downstairs, including vegan ramen, a burger and doner kebab
restaurant and a new opening from Gold Coast favourite Greenhouse. Upstairs is a “cruelty-free marketplace” from local boutique Lovechild Place.
- 1916 Gold Coast Highway, Miami. Visit instagram.com/thelc_miami
The spring 2018 collection from Australian brand Zimmermann, called Goldentime and inspired by the “beauty, romanticism, and light” of the Gold Coast. Designer Nicky Zimmermann told Vogue that she drew on retro photos of the holiday strip from the 60s and 70s - visit the Zimmermann boutique at Pacific Fair to channel your inner boho surfer chick. While you’re there, spend the day at the luxurious shopping centre for a retail experience like no other - with around 420 boutiques, including luxury, chain stores and local Australian designers, there’s something for every style. Take it to the next level by booking a personal stylist experience - experts who will help you find the perfect outfit, plus tea or coffee and valet parking.
- Pacific Fair, Broadbeach. Visit pacificfair.com.au
Channel the tropical Queensland look, and be prepared for a day at the beach, a night out on the town - and brunch the next morning.