Talking Trends with Hatmaker Jonathan Howard
Australian milliner Jonathan Howard has made hats for the Duchess of Cambridge, Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid
Australian milliner Jonathan Howard is the man behind popular brand Hatmaker, whose distinctive, luxury headpieces have been worn by everyone from the Duchess of Cambridge to Kendall Jenner, Miranda Kerr to Gigi Hadid (pictured).
“Being contacted by Kensington Palace to make a hat for the Duchess of Cambridge on her visit to Australia is hard to beat as a highlight,” he tells us.
“The process took many months and I had no certainty when it would be worn, and there was the excited moment when, of course, the hat was worn.”
Howard launched the label in 2006, and his designs now regularly feature on the pages of Elle, Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. He shares his expertise on modern race day etiquette, how to think outside the box and breaking the rules.
• “I always tell people there are no rules to wearing a hat, except to wear it how you like — how it suits you … Of course, with spring racing attire there are some traditions to adhere to, ladylike dress lengths and the black and white tradition of Derby Day.
• “Simplicity rules. I love block colour and clean lines, I think this classic look transcends making it a modern, effortless choice.
• “The safer option is a classic style rather than a headpiece that is ‘on trend’. I’d like to think you will enjoy the hat experience so keep it simple to start and don’t leave it to the last minute to find your most important accessory.
• “When shopping for a hat, you want it to be comfortable. A headpiece should balance so as not to feel as though it may topple off. There are a number of ways to secure a hat or headpiece, your milliner or hairdresser will have the solution. An updo is good as it gives you an anchor point for a headpiece.
• “A beautiful straw sunhat is a great choice for spring carnival, something stylish enough to wear to the races and then also keep you shaded through the warmer months.
• “The wide brim hat is a great classic race look, dramatic without being scary. I also think if you’re tall or have very tall heels, high-waisted trousers with a flare look great for women at the races.
• “A ‘token’ hat, because you left it too late and feel you should wear one, is a bad look.
• “Another tip? Go with some good friends — a great day at the races with your besties will make for good memories.”
- Grab A Bag, Go To The Theatre & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- Restaurant Review: At Saint Alice, The Pizza Is Dependable
- NFTs Are Transforming The Global Art Market, But Are They Worth The Hype?
- Brace The Big Chill With These Winter Accessories
- What We've Been Crushing On This June
- Roe v Wade: Allbirds Commits To US Staff Abortions After Supreme Court Ruling