TBT: 15 Songs for Your Summer Playlist
Celebrate the opening of a new exhibition with our old-school summer playlist
This weekend marks the opening of the New Zealand Fashion Museum's exhibition At the Beach, a look at summer fashion in New Zealand from the 1900s to today (read more about it here).
Of course, a retro day at the beach would not be complete without a cheesy sun, sand and surf-inspired playlist, so we have compiled some appropriate titles from last century for you.
Below, in chronological order, are songs that are either about the beach, or, using a little creative license, strongly reference the beach (ahem, Baywatch theme song) - from 1960 to 2000. Ideal for any summer playlist.
Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini, Brian Hyland (1960).
Surfin' Bird, The Trashmen (1963).
Under the Boardwalk, The Drifters (1964).
Surfer Boy, The Supremes (1965).
In the Summertime, Mungo Jerry (1970).
Barbados, Typically Tropical (1975).
Rockaway Beach, Ramones (1977).
April Sun in Cuba, Dragon (1977).
Escape (The Pina Colada Song), Rupert Holmes (1979).
Club Tropicana, Wham! (1983).
Kokomo, The Beach Boys (1988).
I'm Always Here, Jimi Jamison (1994).
Miami, Will Smith (1997).
Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen), Baz Luhrmann and Quindon Tarver (1999).
Pure Shores, All Saints (2000).
- Restaurant Review: Al Brown's Depot Is Better Than Ever
- Vintage Treasure Trove Love James Makes Its Glamorous Debut
- Learn Kintsugi, Peruse Some Paua & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- Warm & Fuzzy: It's Time To Play With Winter Layering
- Hunker Down With Garlicky Chicken & Cannellini Beans
- Runway Highlights: Chanel's Autumn/Winter 2022/2023 Haute Couture Collection