8 Things to Know about Anthony Vaccarello, Saint Laurent's New Creative Director
Anthony Vaccarello has been confirmed as the new creative director of Saint Laurent
After much speculation since Hedi Slimane's departure, Saint Laurent’s parent company Kering confirmed Anthony Vaccarello as the new creative director of the iconic fashion house. Here's everything you need to know about the designer:
1. 36-year-old Anthony Vaccarello is an Italian-Belgian fashion designer who was born in Brussels.
2. He studied sculpture at Brussels' La Cambre school, graduating in 2006 with an honours degree.
3. He worked for two years under Karl Lagerfeld at Fendi, on the fashion house’s fur line.
4. The designer founded his own eponymous label in 2009, which is known for its sexy power dresses, with extremely high hemlines.
5. He has spent the last three years at Versace’s Versus label — he started as a consultant for the brand and since 2015 has been creative director. In a statement, Donatella Versace said of Vaccarello's departure: “While I’m sad to see him leave the Versace family, I wish Anthony Vaccarello tremendous success with his next chapter."
6. He is not the only Versus designer to be appointed as a creative director at a major fashion house — Jonathan Anderson of J.W.Anderson joined the brand in 2013, shortly before he was named creative director of Loewe. Christopher Kane also held the position of creative director at Versus from 2009 to 2012.
7. Francesca Bellettini, president and CEO of Yves Saint Laurent, said in a release: “I am extremely happy to have Anthony Vaccarello take the creative helm of Yves Saint Laurent. His modern, pure aesthetic is the perfect fit for the maison. Anthony Vaccarello impeccably balances elements of provocative femininity and sharp masculinity in his silhouettes. He is the natural choice to express the essence of Yves Saint Laurent. I am enthusiastic about embarking on a new era with Anthony Vaccarello, and together bringing the maison further success.”
8. Vaccarello’s first collection for Saint Laurent will be spring/summer 2017, presented at Paris Fashion Week this October.Share this: