Jamie Oliver's Blackened Chicken San Fran Quinoa Salad
We share a recipe from the cheeky chef’s new ebook
BLACKENED CHICKEN SAN FRAN QUINOA SALAD
1 mug (300g) of quinoa
1 fresh red or yellow chilli
100g baby spinach
4 spring onions
1 bunch of fresh coriander
1 bunch of fresh mint
1 ripe large mango
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 ripe avocado
50g feta cheese
1 punnet of cress
2 x 200g free-range skinless chicken breasts
1 heaped tsp ground allspice
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
2 mixed-colour peppers
4 Tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt
Ingredients out • Kettle boiled • Medium-lidded pan, medium-high heat • Food processor (bowl blade) • Large frying pan, high heat
1. Put the quinoa into the pan and generously cover with boiling water and the lid.
2. Put the chilli, spinach, trimmed spring onions and coriander (reserving a few leaves) into the processor, tear in the top leafy half of the mint, then blitz until finely chopped.
3. On a large sheet of greaseproof paper, toss the chicken with salt, pepper, the allspice and paprika.
4. Fold over the paper, then bash and flatten the chicken to 1.5cm thick with a rolling pin.
5. Put into the frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, turning after 3 or 4 minutes, until blackened and cooked through.
6. Deseed the peppers, cut each one into 8 strips and add to the frying pan, tossing regularly.
7. Peel and cut the mango into chunks (check out: jamieoliver.com/how-to for a video of how to do this).
8. Drain the quinoa and rinse under the cold tap, then drain well again and tip on to a serving board or platter.
9. Toss with the blitzed spinach mixture, squeeze over the lime juice, add the extra virgin olive oil, mix well and season to taste.
10. Sprinkle the mango chunks and cooked peppers over the quinoa.
11. Halve and destone the avocado, then use a teaspoon to scoop curls of it over the salad.
12. Slice up the chicken, toss the slices in any juices and add to the salad.
13. Crumble over the feta, scatter over the remaining coriander leaves and snip over the cress.
14. Serve with dollops of yoghurt
• Extracted from Jamie’s 15-Minute Meals ebook, published by Michael Joseph. Available from the iBook store, Kobo and Amazon. Recipe © Jamie Oliver 2012. Photos © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited 2012, by David Loftus.
View more from Viva's Insiders' Guide to London brought to you by Toni&Guy