6 Things to Know about Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia
The week of runway shows kicks off in Sydney - here's what you should know
1. In the past Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia has run in April, but this year things have changed a little. Pushed out to May 16-20, the focus is on resort collections; organisers hope the week will become a global destination for designers and brands to showcase these increasingly important collections.
2. Top fashion designers presenting on the runway include Dion Lee, Tome, Romance was Born, Akira and P.E Nation. The opening show on Sunday night is from Maticevski.
3. Iconic brand Oscar de la Renta will add a touch of international glamour, with the closing show on Friday night. Cynthia Rowley will also show resort and swimmer.
4. New Zealand is represented on the schedule by Auckland-based brand Georgia Alice, showing on Monday morning. Designer Georgia Currie has developed a name for herself in the Australian market, having won Elle Australia’s Emerging Designer Award last year. New Zealand swimwear designer Carena West is another Kiwi showing, as part of a group swimwear show.
5. Street style has become a key part of the week, with many Australian fashion editors becoming known internationally for what they wear to shows. Vogue’s Christine Centenera is the most photographed, but also look for It girl Bambi Northwood Blyth, fashion PR Holly Garber, and top bloggers Nicole Warne and Margaret Zhang. (we’ll have street style updated every day, so keep coming back for more from off the runway).
6. Model Bella Hadid is a special guest, and will walk the runway at Misha Collection’s show on Monday. The younger sister of Gigi is part of the new wave of social media savvy models, and recently appeared on the cover of Elle US.