A summer salad for entertaining from Petite Kitchen
Eleanor Ozich of Petite Kitchen creates the perfect summer salad for your guests.
To me, a salad is so much more than a pile of lettuce leaves - they are the perfect excuse to get creative with gorgeously bold and robust flavours. It's all about combining different textures and colours, topped off with a balanced and delicious dressing.
So without further ado, as my first Viva recipe for the year, here is my favourite go-to salad recipe. Fresh and peppery rocket is tossed with fresh mint, thinly sliced fennel, shaved parmesan and roasted walnuts, then dressed in a lemony anchovy vinaigrette. A delicious salad that takes only a few minutes to throw together.
A SUMMER SALAD FOR ENTERTAINING
Serves 4-6 as a side
• 2 small bulbs of fennel
• Large handful of fresh mint leaves
• 200g finely shaved parmesan
• ½ cup toasted walnuts, crushed
• 4-5 large handfuls of fresh rocket (about 100g)
For the vinaigrette:
• 4 anchovy fillets
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1 bulb garlic, peeled
• Juice of two lemons
• Sea salt
1. Remove fennel fronds, and then slice each fennel bulb in half. Finely slice using a sharp knife or mandolin.
2. Add anchovies, olive oil and garlic into a pestle and mortar. Bash until you have a smooth paste consistency. Add lemon juice, and then mix well. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
3. Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and pour dressing over. Toss well and serve.