4 Aromatic Cocktail Recipes To Try This Autumn
Is there anything more luxurious than glistening jewels and our favourite tipples to enjoy after dark? We think not
Auckland mixologist Margarita Vovna of Madame George shakes things up (quite literally) with four aromatic cocktail recipes sure to appeal to even the most discerning drinkers this season
THE NEGRONI by Cointreau
“Negronis are my all-time favourite cocktail,” says Margarita. “They’re a classic and are served the same way wherever you decide to imbibe, but can be updated with a few modern twists. This riff on a Negroni includes Cointreau which adds a new layer of sweetness to the drink.”
30ml The Botanist Gin
30ml Peychaud’s Aperitivo
15ml Dolin Rouge Vermouth
Orange twist, to garnish
Large ice cubes
1. Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and fill with ice.
2. Stir until well chilled, about 25 seconds.
3. Strain into a glass over large ice cubes.
4. Garnish with an orange peel twist.
From left: 18ct rose gold 4.41ct morganite & diamond pendant $4610; 18ct rose gold .50ct diamond band $2790; 18ct rose gold 7.55ct morganite & diamond halo earrings $8878; 18ct white & rose gold 2.28ct diamond ring $10,640; Vintage 9ct rose gold Albert chain $6170, available from Walker & Hall in-store and online at Walkerandhall.co.nz.
CHILLI & LIME MARGARITA by Cocktail Collective
“Do you need an excuse to enjoy a margarita? This cocktail is the perfect way to kick things off during a night out with close friends. Warm, lingering chilli heat combines with refreshing notes of fragrant finger lime to create a well-balanced drink,” Margarita says.
Using a standard spirit measure:
6 parts tequila
4 parts lime juice
2 parts Triple Sec
2 parts Gomme syrup
1 lime wheel, to garnish
1. Chill your glasses.
2. When chilled, rim with salt by running a lime wedge around the rim, then dip into a shallow saucer of salt.
3. Combine ice, tequila, lime juice, Triple Sec and Gomme syrup into a cocktail shaker and shake firmly for 10–20 seconds.
4. Use a strainer to pour evenly between the two glasses.
5. Garnish with a lime wheel in your glass or perched on the rim.
From left: 18ct white gold 3.06ct tourmaline & diamond ring $7590; 18ct white gold 2.56ct beryl & diamond halo pendant $3290; 18ct white gold 1.62ct emerald & diamond halo pendant $6140; 18ct white & yellow gold 1.80ct diamond ring $17,890; 18ct white gold 8.79ct diamond Jubilee bracelet $29,960, available from Walker & Hall in-store and online at Walkerandhall.co.nz.
GINGER BERRY FIZZ by Seedlip
“The delicate berry notes and fresh citrus flavours make this non-alcoholic cocktail an excellent tipple to enjoy on a warm autumn afternoon,” says Margarita. “Refreshing and light, you can easily substitute the jam for a citrus or berry jelly. A nip of elderflower syrup would also be a welcome addition to this thirst-quenching sip.”
50ml Seedlip Grove 42
1 tsp of plum or berry Jam
1 chunk of fresh ginger (approx. 1 cm thick)
All Good Apple & Blackcurrant switchel
Crystallised ginger, to garnish
1. Add Seedlip Grove, Jam & Ginger into a shaker with ice.
2. Shake well, for about 10–20 seconds.
3. Double strain into a tumbler. Double straining ensures you will not have any bits of jam berries or ginger chunks in your drink.
4. Add ice into tumbler and top with switchel.
5. Gently stir to mix and garnish with crystallised or fresh ginger.
Seedlip, the world’s first distilled non-alcoholic spirit is a sophisticated alcohol alternative. Blended and bottled in England, Seedlip has zero calories and is free of sugars, sweeteners and artifical flavours.
From left: Walker & Hall bracelet $17,680; 18ct white gold 5.75ct tanzanite & diamond halo ring $17,420; 18ct white gold .76ct diamond Orion ring $4820; 18ct white gold 1.05ct diamond eternity bangle $5980; Déjà vu 18ct yellow & white gold 7.04ct amethyst & diamond ring $7100; 18ct white gold tourmaline & diamond ring $6595, available from Walker & Hall in-store and online at Walkerandhall.co.nz.
BOURBON OLD FASHIONED by Cocktail Collective
“A warming winter night cap, enjoy this cocktail while in good company sharing good conversation. Be sure to sip slowly and savour. The rich, deep, spicy notes make this an ideal winter drink,” Margarita says.
1 oval of orange peel
2 Maraschino cherries
1 wedge blood orange, to garnish
Using a standard spirit measure:
1 part Gomme Syrup
1 part Angostura bitters
3 parts Bourbon
1 part Triple Sec
1. Cut an oval of orange peel for your glass.
2. Combine the orange peel, Maraschino cherry, Gomme Syrup and Angostura bitters into your glass and muddle using a muddler or wooden spoon. Repeatedly press ingredients together in the bottom of your glass to release flavours.
3. Fill your glass with ice and add Bourbon and Triple Sec.
4. Stir using a small spoon, and garnish with a slice of blood orange and a Maraschino cherry.
Clockwise from bottom left: Kelly Thompson x Walker & Hall 9ct yellow gold ring $990; 18ct yellow gold 1.54ct diamond bracelet $7880; Vintage 14ct yellow gold chain necklace $7850; 18ct yellow gold .32ct diamond Juno ring $2820, available from Walker & Hall in-store and online at Walkerandhall.co.nz.
Photographer / Babiche Martens. Stylist / Rosie Herdman. Commercial editor / Ashleigh Cometti. Mixologist / Margarita Vovna from Madame George.