This One-Night-Only Dinner Sees Japanese Food & Craft Beer Collide
Biru Ebisu is one event you need to catch at American Express Restaurant Month
It might be dreary and cold outside but Auckland’s food scene heats up in winter with all manner of food events to fill the calendar — from beer festivals to food shows and special collab degustations featuring international chefs.
One event that’s caught our eye is Biru Ebisu as part of the American Express Restaurant Month line-up. This event sees Japanese food from Britomart’s Ebisu restaurant and craft beer from Behemoth Brewery collide in the very best way.
Ebisu’s head chef Fred Wong will create a seven-course dinner, artfully matched with beers chosen by in-house sake sommelier and self-professed “beer lover” Wayne Shennen and Behemoth's Andrew Childs. Wayne is one of just 129 advanced sake professionals in the world and hopes to introduce some of the beer fans who’ll no doubt flock to this event, to the wonders of sake.
Among the seven courses, diners can expect a sashimi amuse bouche with yuzu ponzu and radish pickles; a crayfish croquette with wasabi tartar; seared wagyu nigiri with black truffle; and Japanese petite fours for dessert. These will be matched with six craft beers, from a New Zealand pale ale to a hoppy pilsner and a ‘wild card’ round to finish.
• Biru Ebisu, August 28, 6.30pm, Ebisu, 116-118 Quay St, Auckland. Tickets $150 per person, including 7-course dinner with matching craft beers and sake. Visit Iticket.co.nz
- Outdoor Oasis: This Broadway Garden Was Transformed Into A Coastal-Inspired Retreat
- Heavenly Mango Salsa & Pork Bao Buns
- The Renaissance Of Rata, The Restaurant Harnessing Queenstown's Culinary Playground
- Restaurant Review: Devonport's Vondel Offers More Than You Have Any Right To Expect
- Irresistibly Good Apricot Fool Dessert
- Still Cool: Ollies Ice Cream Parlour