Buckwheat Banana Pancakes
Breakfast in bed just got better with these buckwheat banana pancakes
These buckwheat pancakes are great for a special shared breakfast in bed, especially with delicous seasonal berries. They look — and taste — gorgeous. If it’s not berry season, frozen are fine — just allow time for them to thaw, or replace with another seasonal fruit — figs and feijoas are not too far away. To keep the pancakes light and airy, be sure to fold the egg whites in gently.
BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES RECIPE
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 ¼ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup gluten-free flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, separated
1 banana, mashed
Butter for frying
1 mango cut into cubes
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1 cup mixed berries
1. Place the milk in a jug and add the lemon juice (a quick way of making buttermilk).
2. Place the flours and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and mashed banana into the milk then stir through the dry ingredients until smooth. Don’t worry if there are a few banana lumps.
4. Whisk the egg whites until just stiff and fold lightly through the batter mixture.
5. Heat a teaspoon of butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add ½ cup of mixture to the pan at a time, cooking until it starts to bubble, then flip for a further 3 minutes. Continue to cook the remainder of the mixture. Keep the pancakes warm (in the oven on a low-setting) while you cook the rest.
6. Serve with mango, maple syrup, a dollop of yoghurt and berries.Share this: