For a romantic French flavour, these caneles are a sweet sensation
For a romantic French flavour, these caneles are a sweet sensation. It sounds a long time to cook such a little delight, but the result is moist, slightly chewy and worth waiting for. You will find the moulds at specialty cook shops or online.
500ml whole milk
1 vanilla pod
1 cup caster sugar
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup white rum
3 egg yolks
1. Place the milk into a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the milk and bring to the boil. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
2. Stir through the sugar, melted butter, flour, rum and egg yolks. Whisk if needed until completely smooth. Rest for up to 24 hours or at least 8.
3. Preheat an oven to 220C. If using silicon moulds, you do not need to grease them. If using other types, butter generously.
4. Pour the mixture into the canele mould until three-quarters full.
5. Place into the oven for 8 minutes, then turn down to 180C and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
6. Remove, cool for 5 minutes then tip onto a cooling rack.Share this: