Chocolate, Date and Banana Cake Recipe
Eat this simple and delicious cake for dessert or with a morning coffee
Two of my go-to pleasurable snacks: dates and bananas, make this cake irresistible. Dripping in chocolate ganache, it’s simple and delicious. Enjoy it as dessert, or a good excuse to have a second morning coffee. Once you’ve mastered chocolate ganache, there is no looking back.
CHOCOLATE, DATE AND BANANA CAKE RECIPE
1 cup dried dates, halved
¼ cup boiling water
2 Tbsp brandy
2 tsp orange zest
½ cup sugar
1 medium banana, mashed roughly
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup dark chocolate chips
150g dark chocolate, chopped small
Cream or yoghurt to serve
1. Preheat an oven to 180C. Line a 20cm cake tin.
2. Place the dates, water, brandy and zest into a small pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. The liquid will have almost evaporated. Remove from the heat and cool.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, combining well, then add the banana.
4. Fold in the flour, chocolate chips and dates. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
5. To make the ganache, bring the cream to a boil then pour over the chocolate and stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature then spread over the cake.
6. Serve with a dollop of cream or yoghurt.Share this: