Christmas Mince and Apple Shortcake Recipe
Make this simple shortcake with a festive touch
I’ve given today’s recipes a festive touch and why not? With Christmas just around the corner, it’s fun to celebrate the season.
I make this simple shortcake recipe, then change it up with different flavours. Here I have added Christmas mince. It is delicious served warm with icecream or custard, and equally as good served cold the next day, dusted with icing sugar for a picnic.
CHOCOLATE MINCE AND APPLE SHORTCAKE
Makes 16 slices
• 2 cups self-rising flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 180g butter
• 2 medium eggs whisked with 1 tsp vanilla
• 2 cups cooked diced apple
• 1 cup Christmas mince
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper.
2. Into a large bowl place the flour and sugar. Chop in the butter and rub until it forms fine breadcrumbs. Add the eggs and form a soft dough. Divide in half.
3. Using your fingers pat one half of the dough evenly into the base of your tin. Spread over the apple and mince. Roll the remainder of the dough to fit the top pressing it gently into place.
4. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving. Whipped cream or icecream are the perfect accompaniment.Share this: