Coconut, Courgette and Rosewater Cakes Recipe
Try Amanda Laird's little rosewater cakes
COCONUT, COURGETTE AND ROSEWATER CAKES
150g caster sugar
250g courgettes, topped and tailed then grated
1 Tbsp rosewater
50g desiccated coconut
50g ground almonds
100g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
160g icing sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp water
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 egg white
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp coconut extract
A few drops of red food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 12 hole muffing tray or line with paper cases.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale. Fold in the courgette and rosewater.
3. Fold in the coconut and ground almonds. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and fold into the mixture giving a final stir to ensure all ingredients are combined.
Spoon into tins, leaving 1/2 a centimetre at the top to allow for rising. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the tops spring back when gently pressed.
4. To make the icing ; place the ingredients except for the food colouring, into a bowl and sit over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir to dissolve the sugar, which takes about two minutes.
5. When the mixture is warm, remove the bowl and beat with electric beaters until cool and peaks have formed. This step will take approximately 8 minutes. When the peaks have formed, add a little food colouring. Either pipe or spoon the icing on to the cold cakes in a swirling pattern.Share this: