Coffee Paris-Brest Recipe
Try Angela Casley's luxurious coffee-flavoured Paris-Brest
5 egg yolks
350ml full-fat milk
2 tsp instant coffee
1 cup boiling water
100g butter, cut into small cubes
½ tsp salt
¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Heat oven to 200C. Line oven tray with baking paper. Draw a 20cm circle on the paper.
2. To make coffee cream: Beat egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour.
3. In a saucepan bring milk to boil with coffee. Whisk milk into egg mixture. Return to clean pot, stirring over gentle heat until custard has thickened. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Stir through butter carefully until combined well. Refrigerate overnight.
4. To make choux ring: Place water and butter in a medium pot. Bring to boil then immediately add flour and salt, stirring vigorously until mixture is glossy and forms a ball. This takes 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, place into bowl of an electric beater and cool for 10 minutes.
5. Beat dough on low adding one egg at a time until completely combined.
6. Place choux pastry in piping bag with a large nozzle. Pipe once around your circle, once inside of that circle and a third time on top of the two circles. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is firm and golden. Remove from oven and immediately cut ring in half horizontally to allow steam to escape. Leave to cool.
7. When ready to fill, place coffee cream in a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe swirls on base. Replace top and refrigerate for at least one hour.
8. Just before serving sprinkle over almonds and generously dust with icing sugar.Share this:
- The New Zealand Fashion Museum Looks To The Future
- Fresh Asparagus Salad with Pumpkin and Eggplant
- Versace's 'Versacepolis' Was A Glorious Celebration Of Size
- Freshly Squeezed: How To Incorporate Vitamin C Into Your Skincare Regime
- 12 Terrific Skirts To Add To Your Spring Wardrobe
- From Bowl Haircuts To Bronzer: Comedian & Actor Chris Parker’s Beauty Routine