Creamed Corn Recipe
Try this simple creamed corn recipe by Eleanor Ozich
I adored creamed corn as a child. You know the kind that comes in a can and makes a fantastic toasted sandwich filling paired with oozy melted cheese. Soothing and gentle, this homemade version is unfussy and delicious.
LATE SUMMER CREAMED CORN RECIPE
• 2 Tbsp butter, ghee or olive oil
• 2 brown onions, diced
• 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• 2 Tbsp tapioca or cornflour
• 3 cups cooked corn kernels
• 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
• ½ cup cream
• ½ cup milk
• a small bunch of spinach, finely chopped
• 2 bay leaves
1. Warm the butter, ghee or olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic, and cook, while stirring, until honey coloured. Sprinkle with the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon for a minute or so.
2. Add the corn, stock, cream, milk, spinach and bay leaves.
3. Simmer over a low heat until luxuriously creamy.
4. Season with sea salt and ground pepper.
I enjoyed mine like soup from the bowl, although spooned generously over toasted sourdough with a little grated Parmesan would be ideal.
• For more from Eleanor Ozich see petite-kitchen.com