Recipe: Croque Monsieur
Croque monsieur with its oozing cheese and ham satisfied those who had had an extra big night out
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1 Tbsp flour
• 1 cup milk
• 150g gruyere, grated
• Pinch nutmeg
• Salt and pepper
• 8 slices thick chunky white bread
• 2 tsp dijon mustard
• 4 slices ham off the bone
1. Melt butter in a small pot. Add flour, stir and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Slowly add milk, stirring until the sauce has thickened. Add ½ cup gruyere, season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Spread four pieces of bread with mustard, top with a slice of ham and grated cheese. Place the remaining bread on top. Melt butter in a frying pan and brown sandwiches on both sides. Place on a baking tray.
3. Preheat a grill to hot. Cover the top of the sandwiches with cheese sauce and a sprinkling of extra gruyere. Place them under the grill until golden and bubbling. Eat while hot.Share this: