Where to Find a Great Doughnut
There are times in life that only a cinnamon sugar-dusted ring of fried dough will do
1. Champ Canteen
It's pretty hard to miss the brilliant blue facade of Newmarket hotspot Champ Canteen ... harder still will be walking away with a coffee in one hand and no custard-filled doughnut in the other. What else would you expect from the same people who brought us RAD in Mt Eden? Simple is satisfying, and these little guys are a testament to that.
• 17a Remuera Rd, Newmarket
Can’t muster the energy to get yourself a doughnut? Well, now they can come to you. From the brains behind The Pie Piper comes a delivery service — as the name gives away — dedicated to bringing the American-style action to your doorstep. From a Rocky Road rendition to a lemon meringue treat, picking a favourite from Doornuts will not be a task for the faint of heart. For urgent doughnut matters, pick up is also available.
• 321 K Rd, Auckland Central
3. Scratch Bakers
How shall we put this — when a cafe deems it worthy to do a doughnut of the week, we're in, hook, line and sinker. We’re no match for Scratch Bakers' Black Forest doughnut… nor are we able to resist the powers of the lamington, doughnut hybrid that the crazy culinary geniuses here have created… just know that upon entering, leaving without some form of fried dough is not an option.
• 5 Graham St, Auckland Central
A fairly recent addition to the Balmoral end of Mt Eden Village, this art-loving hipster haven comes complete with a likely-to-be-bearded barista, a minimalist Scandinavian vibe and the most delightful doughnuts made fresh by a home baker the owners refuse to give us access to. Whether you opt for the Cookies 'n' Cream, the white chocolate with macadamia or one that the cool cats at Olly have just thought up, you will not be disappointed.
• 537 Mt Eden Rd, Mt Eden
5. Al’s Deli
Quite likely the most dramatic and Instagram-worthy rendition in town, whether consumed as is or in donut milkshake form, you'll probably be 'circling' back to Al's Deli for a while.
• 492 Queen St, Auckland Central
Bar Magda Is Going To Be One Of The City's Great Modern Filipino Restaurants
Wednesday Aug. 11, 2021
- Discover A Dart-Shaped Holiday Home That Floats High On A Mangawhai Headland
- Ruby Harris’ Short Film 'Pet Day' Is An Idyllic Look At Growing Up Horseback Riding In Small Town Aotearoa
- Watch: Burberry's Spring/Summer 2022 Collection Taps Into Our Animal Instincts
- Spaghetti With Prawns & Cockles
- Classical Studies: Clothes To Softly Tie, Wrap & Cascade Across Your Body
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch