8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch
Enjoy a luxurious long lunch at one of these amazing restaurants
While beer might be the main attraction at Sawmill (with 14 choices on tap at a time) the menu has received just as much attention, resulting in so many tempting options designed to share. Try the goat pakoras with banana raita, smoked pork cheek on sourdough with BBQ sauce and sauerkraut, or spicy venison ribs with blue cheese ranch. There are plenty of vege options too.
• 1004 Leigh Rd, Matakana. Visit Sawmillbrewery.co.nz
Mission Bay Pavilion
We'll be honest, we first fell in love with this restaurant for its looks, but its food and drink is just as impressive. The design is by Katie Lockheart, while the restaurant is owned by Savour Group (who are behind Seafarers, Ostro, Ebisu and Azabu. The Italian-influenced menu fits with the restaurant’s surroundings, and focuses on seafood dishes with an international flair. There's plenty of fresh fish on offer, as well as burgers, steak, and amazing desserts.
• 44 Tamaki Drive, Mission Bay. Visit Missionbaypavilion.co.nz
The Hunting Lodge Winery
With a satisfyingly rustic menu, The Hunting Lodge is a destination worth making a trip to. Their menu ranges from a humble ham and cheese toastie with a fried egg and mushroom sauce to beef carpaccio, lemon thyme and bone marrow toast. Their take on whitebait fritters is another drawcard.
• 307 Waikoukou Valley Rd, Waimauku. Thehuntinglodge.com
Hallertau Brewery & Biergarten
Hallertau say their restaurant is "all about fistfuls of freshness" and their menu lets the produce shine. Try the pappardelle pasta with smoked eggplant, peppers, tomato and pecorino, chipotle-braised lamb shoulder with freekeh and preserved lemon or a wood-fire pizza. If you've got a group together their mixed platter of jalapeno poppers, pork belly, salads, sides, bread and olives is sure to please.
• 1171 Coatesville-Riverhead Hwy, Riverhead. Visit Hallertau.co.nz
Non Solo Pizza
Spend a meandering lunch trying as many of Non Solo Pizza, starting with a selection of Italian bread and bruschetta. As well as pizza, their selection of antipasto, seafood, meat and vegetable dishes are also delicious, as are the creamy Italian cheeses on offer. Their menu stretches as long as a piece of melting mozzarella, so repeat visits may be necessary.
• 259 Parnell Rd, Parnell. Visit Nonsolopizza.co.nz
The Tasting Shed
It's starting to feel a little chilly out but The Tasting Shed has some great comfort food on offer, including meatballs of lamb, pork, tomato and parmesan or mac and cheese with kimchi, daikon and coriander. Why not finish up with their irresistible churros with pear, pumpkin, salted caramel and spiced pecan.
• 609 SH 16, Kumeu. Visit Thetastingshed.co.nz
Huami is known for an excellent Peking Duck — the ducks are cured for two days, then wood-fired to produce an exquisite result of crispy perfection. Diners can expect bold flavours in a variety of meat, chicken and vegetable dishes, delicate handmade dim sum (steamed dumplings) and fresh seafood skillfully prepared in authentically Chinese ways. The restaurant’s dining room is also a thing of beauty with luxurious fittings and interesting artefacts sourced from China.
• 87 Federal St, Auckland Central. Visit Skycityauckland.co.nz
On Sundays Ponderi Crisci recreates the tradition of the long, winding Italian lunch, which takes place from 12.30pm to 4.30pm and has a menu that changes weekly. Make your way through courses of Italian cheese, olives, vegetable dishes, pasta and desserts, all matched to Poderi wines.
• 205 Awaawaroa Rd, Waiheke Island. Visit Podericrisci.co.nz
DO YOU HAVE FOOD NEWS TO SHARE?
If you have information about a new opening, an event, a new menu or something interesting in the world of food, we'd love to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com
- From Bowl Haircuts To Bronzer: Comedian & Actor Chris Parker’s Beauty Routine
- Wynn Hamlyn Set To Open Its First Retail Store At Commercial Bay
- Every Look From Prada's Spring/Summer 2021 Collection
- Wholesome Pursuits, Gripping TV Shows & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- Watch: Miuccia Prada & Raf Simons' Debut Collection For Prada Womenswear Spring/Summer 2021
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch