Where to Eat: Mr Toms
Mr Toms is the latest bar and eatery to hit Ponsonby Rd
Mr Toms is not about white linen and curtsies, says co-owner Jason Whalley.
“We’re here for fun. It’s not hoity-toity. It’s really approachable.”
The latest bar and eatery to hit the popular Ponsonby Rd strip is on a corner location famous for enticing summer revellers. Mr Toms will take up two levels in the former Bar 151 and United Kitchen building, the dining room downstairs, and a casual area to sip a cocktail upstairs.
Head chef Tom Williamson (right, formerly of United Kitchen, and before that, Oyster Inn and Ebisu) is moving on from the high-end bistro-style cuisine he produced in his last gig, delivering Mr Toms’ signature pizzas, plus salads, mains, and small plates designed to appeal to a wider audience.
“The biggest thing for us is good, old-fashioned hospitality,” says Jason. “Service that’s attentive and knowledgeable — but not in your face.” Don’t be surprised if the chef himself visits your table for a chat.
Mr Toms is with Future Bars, a hospitality company that also owns the Minus 5 Ice Bar, Rhino’s Ski Shack and hip new bar Little Blackwood in Queenstown.
They bought the property in August and set about transforming it into a light, casual space, all warm whites and greys, vibrant artworks and handcrafted furniture.
“It’s about no-nonsense food, great cocktails, beers and the best of New Zealand wines,” says Jason. “We’re keen to give people a good time.”
• Mr Toms, 151 Ponsonby Road, opening in the next few days. Ph 09 360 9138 or visit mrtoms.co.nz
- 12 Stylishly Practical Raincoats To Buy Right Now
- Will The Future Be Fun? With These 20 Ideas, It Could Be
- A Highly Satisfying Brussels Sprout & Cauliflower Salad With Miso Glaze
- Inside 'Harry's House', A Delicious Party Record From A Big Romantic
- Dare To DIY This Ball Season? Here's What You Need To Know
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch