New Openings: Bars and Eateries to Try Around Auckland 12/6/17
The latest bars, cafes and restaurants around town
This elevated take on an inner-city pub has all the makings to be a firm after-work favourite. How could it not be when it boasts an extensive craft beer, wine and cocktail menu, as well as the promise of deep-fried pies and beef fat potatoes?
120 Quay St, Britomart
Daily Daily Coffeemakers
The small but mighty space of Daily Daily Coffeemakers, which has touches of blush and plenty of macrocarpa details, will likely see you transported to a Melbourne coffee bar where there’s just enough room for fellow hipsters to wake up and smell the... Coffee Supreme. Come for your daily caffeine fix (or the kombucha on tap), stay for stroopwafels.
452 K Rd, Auckland Central
From the masterminds that blessed us with The Blue Breeze Inn and Chop Chop comes this brand-spanking new addition to the league of extraordinary eateries in Ponsonby Central. We’re making a beeline for the $7 dosa… the crispy cousin to a crepe, usually served with a spicy chutney or two, which is a mainstay in South Indian cuisine.
136/146 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby
Simon Gault returns to the Viaduct with an all-day eatery of epic proportions. With an open kitchen allowing for a dining experience that feels a lot like a meal at a friend’s house, the small dishes and shared plates spotlight quality ingredients from local sources.
85-87 Customs St West, Viaduct Basin
With the likes of fried chicken and waffles on the menu, the occasional free scoop of icecream, conversation-starting cue cards as well as the all-necessary cup of joe, this all-day eatery is one you’d do well to make the acquaintance of.
159 Symonds St, Eden Tce
It was a sad day when we said goodbye to Maldito Mendez in Ponsonby Central until we heard that the brains behind it were simply moving their delicious offerings to Parnell. Touting an eclectic vibe and a welcoming, rustic interior, here it’s easier than ever to while away the afternoon sampling their weekly-changing menus. Then, when the warmer days return, you can take advantage of the sunny courtyard with a beverage and book for company.
7-15 Faraday St, Parnell
The Malaysian chain restaurant has expanded its empire. Now, you can grab a roti canai, nasi lemak and a teh tarik or two before the movies or after a spot of shopping in the mall at Sylvia Park.
Sylvia Park Shopping Centre, 286 Mt Wellington Highway, Mt Wellington
• Ostro is celebrating its 4th birthday with a slick makeover and a menu to match, courtesy of flavour masters Josh Emett and Head Chef Cobus Klopper. Come see the sumptuous space for yourself and stay for the reinvented snapper, prawn and lobster pie.
This is the neighbourhood wine bar you’ve been dreaming of, opening Monday June 19. Celebrating the match made in heaven - a drink and a snack - here you’ll find fruits of the vine from around the world well worth dabbling in, ready and willing to be paired with chef Maia Atvars’ (ex-Depot) menu of Spanish cured meats sliced to order, as well as a selection of mouth-watering cheeses sold by the gram.
277 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby
• Iconic Herne Bay restaurant Andiamo has new owners - Blair Russell and Melissa Morrow of Ponsonby Rd Bistro. The new restaurant will launch soon, with its fit-out by Alannah Owen (ex Queenies) featuring fluoro orange and fuschia pink. We'll keep you updated on the new name and details as they come to hand.
194 Jervois Rd, Herne Bay
The Recipes That Made Me: Paul Patterson Talks To Amano's Andrew Hanson
Thursday June 17, 2021Sponsored
- What’s Next In Wellness: The Shroom Boom
- Prada Leaves Dark Days Behind In Its Men's Spring/Summer 2022 Show
- Danny Pato Named As The New Zealand Hairdresser Of The Year 2021
- Dior's Cruise 2022 Show Confronted 1950s Fashion & Made It Athletic
- Highlights From Prada's Beachy Spring/Summer 2022 Collection
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch