The Street Food Collective
Chinese buns, sweet pies and healthy breakfasts are available in Ponsonby's newest market place
Auckland’s street food scene is on fire. Each week, new vendors pop up at markets across Auckland, offering everything from gourmet burgers to paleo breakfasts.
After a summer hauling their barbecue around, Annelise and Ryan Clark of Miss Moonshine’s saw the need for a permanent space.
“It’s hard work doing pop-ups. There’s no running water, no refrigeration or electricity,” says Ryan. “We thought, ‘What if we could provide a space without all that stress, where you don’t get blown away, and you can’t get rained off?’”
Inspired, the couple set up The Street Food Collective, which opened this week on Ponsonby’s Lot 3. The market-style space is opposite their new restaurant (read about that here).
A rotating line-up of vendors include Judge Bao (steamed Chinese buns, pictured above), Pie Piper (a mother-daughter duo making American-style sweet pies), Sweet Cuisine (Milse’s former pastry chef Brian Campbell) and The Vital Bowl and Blue Frog supplying healthy breakfasts.
A covered outdoor bar completes the market vibe, with drinks served from “Herbie”, an old Bedford campervan, visits from food trucks The Roaming Dive, Brooklyn Dogs and The Lucky Taco, and performances by emerging musicians and artists.
• Lot 3, 130 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby. Access between Mackelvie St and Richmond Rd. Open for breakfast 7-11am (8am on weekends), lunch 12-3pm, dinner and dessert 5-10pm.
- Runway Report: Miuccia Prada Brings Back The Magic At Milan Fashion Week
- How It Feels To Have A Tropical Fijian Island All To Yourself
- 12 Hydrating Body Products To Soothe Post-Holiday Skin
- Barbecued Prawns With Tarragon & Citrus Butter
- Favourite Things: Textile Designer Amber Rixon
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch