Where to Go: Little Sister in Henderson
Henderson has a spritely newcomer by the name of Little Sister. It's a welcome piece of personality in a neighbourhood governed by industry and, judging by the lack of empty tables, has already been voted a hit. We like the smell of baking that greets you on entry - delicious-looking meringues and cream doughnuts are a speciality - not to mention the eclectic menu offerings, which range from a pork belly bun with apple sauce and sauerkraut, to Vietnamese pancakes and the "Soul Food Salad".
The Southeast Asian influence is from co-owner Fran Carson's (ex Sweetie and Salvation Kitchen) time spent living in Bali, and the doughnuts tell the story of the half-Italian's childhood spent in Italy - an obsession with bomboloni and the subsequent desire to become a pastry chef.
With husband Aaron Carson, Fran was hands-on in the design and fit-out of the cafe, even salvaging a giant sign from the Ponsonby Bowling Club. The two West Auckland locals say they are proud to be providing a fresh food option for the community, and to be using local suppliers and staff.
• Open Mon-Fri, 7.30am-3pm with weekends to come; 91 Central Park Drive, Henderson.
Ph (09) 836 0860.
- Restaurant Review: Al Brown's Depot Is Better Than Ever
- Vintage Treasure Trove Love James Makes Its Glamorous Debut
- Learn Kintsugi, Peruse Some Paua & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- Warm & Fuzzy: It's Time To Play With Winter Layering
- Hunker Down With Garlicky Chicken & Cannellini Beans
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch