Where to go: Woodworks
Avondale just got a cool new community hangout, in the form of Woodworks, an all-day bar and eatery. Opened this week by partners Jess Brewer and Matt Gosset, former owners of Petit Bocal and La Boulange, the menu looks delicious, with wood-fired pizzas a feature.
Chef Karen Ishikawa has come from Petit Bocal as well, bringing house classics like breakfast bruschetta and croque monsieur to the brunch menu. Other options include crumpets and chia seed puddings, while post-noon offerings include braised pork belly and cheese souffle.
Their license is set to come next week, when they'll serve Asahi on tap and local and European wines alongside Cocoloco coconuts, Six Barrel Sodas and Carew Kitchen nut milk lattes.
The airy, wooden, plant-filled fitout, completed by the duo themselves, and the name, honour the space's former life as a wood turning factory.
A mix of tables and bar leaners provide ambience to the spacious eatery - there's also sun-drenched seating outside and a private room for special occasions.
Brewer and Gosset hope for this to become a neighbourhood gathering point, a local of sorts for the many creative types who work in the area. It's almost worth relocating for.
• 1790 Great North Rd, Open 7 days, 7am-10pm. Ph (09) 828 4248.
- 15 Delightful Swimsuits To Enjoy When The Temperatures Heat Up
- Style Liaisons: In Conversation With Rapper Melodownz
- The Viva Guide To Organic Wine: The Best Sips Treading Lightly On The Planet
- Plan & Prepare With These Chic 2022 Diaries
- "All The Things In The Film That Seem Least Believable Are True": Steven Knight On Writing A Diana Biopic
- 8 Delicious Spots For a Long Lunch