Fish & Tomato Curry With Coconut Milk
Homemade curry paste and warming spices are the key to creating this comforting dish
I love this curry recipe based around a tin of tomatoes, garlic, ginger, a few spices and some beautiful fresh fish fillets. I always add a little sweetness when cooking with tomatoes, but if you would rather be sugar-free you can leave it out.
FISH & TOMATO CURRY WITH COCONUT MILK RECIPE
2 green chillies, deseeded, chopped
5cm piece ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, peeled
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
1 onion, diced small
1 Tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp lemon zest
6 curry leaves
400g tin diced tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
420g tin coconut milk
150g green beans, halved
4 tarakihi fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped coriander
Cooked rice to serve
1. Place the chillies, ginger, garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle. Pound until it becomes a paste.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy-based large pot. Add the paste and cook until it sizzles and smells aromatic.
3. Add the onion, cooking for a few minutes to soften. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, zest and curry leaves, cooking for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the tomatoes, brown sugar and coconut milk, bringing to a simmer for 10 minutes.
5. On a lower heat add the beans, cooking for 2 minutes, then place in the fish fillets to cook without too much stirring or they will break up. Test a bit, when the fish is cooked it is ready to serve.
6. Season, fold through the coriander and serve with hot, steaming rice.Share this: