Where to Go: The Good Home, Onehunga
The historic Carnegie Free Library building has been transformed into a stylish gastro pub
Andrew Carnegie, the debonair gentleman whose portrait sits behind the bar of new Onehunga gastro pub The Good Home, deserves to take pride of place in this beautifully renovated historic building — after all, he was responsible for its first life as the Carnegie Free Library in 1912.
Andrew was a Scottish/American philanthropist who, after making his fortune in the steel business, funded 18 libraries throughout New Zealand and more than 2500 worldwide.
The Onehunga building sat empty for nearly 20 years before being restored in the 80s, and has since housed a community centre and several restaurants and cafes.
New owner Tony Woodcock has retained character features of the category-one heritage-listed building, including pressed tin ceilings and cornices, and has added a big modern wooden pavilion extension off to the side to provide al fresco dining. There's also a play area for children.
As well as usual pub food suspects such as steaks, burgers and pizzas, the menu features some more unusual options, including a Whangaripo blue cheese salad with sweet salted walnuts, miso-glazed hapuku with an edamame salsa and avocado puree, and, on the weekend brunch menu, black rice porridge. There are 13 premium and craft beers on tap and guests will find a mix of seating areas.
“It’s such an iconic old building and an Onehunga landmark," Tony says. "We've tried to honour the heritage of the building as much as possible. It's been a labour of love, with the whole process taking about 18 months, so hopefully the locals approve.” We're sure they will.
• The Good Home is at 55 Princes St, Onehunga. Open seven days for lunch and dinner, and brunch on the weekends.
Be inspired by the good things in life. Sign up now to receive emails from Viva, and twice a week you will be sent the latest news, profiles, videos, fashion shoots, competitions and more.Share this:
- The Soulful, Sexy Menage A Quatre Of 'Conversations With Friends'
- Watch: Gucci's Brooding Resort 2023 Show At Castel del Monte
- Transport Yourself To Tokyo With This Classic Tuna Tataki Recipe
- After A Tumultuous Two Years, What's Next For Hospitality?
- Make Lunch This Pawpaw, Prawn & Tofu Salad With A Sweet-Sour Tamarind Dressing
- Still Cool: Ollies Ice Cream Parlour