Grilled Lettuce Hearts Recipe with Aioli
This delicious recipe from Petite Kitchen is perfect as an easy side salad
A warm salad of roasted lettuce hearts with homemade zesty garlic aioli. Roasting the lettuce gives this salad a wonderful sweetness and a silky yet crunchy texture – an exciting new way to enjoy salad greens.
ROASTED LETTUCE HEARTS RECIPEWITH LEMON ZEST AND GARLIC AIOLI
Serves 4 as a side
For the roasted lettuce:
• 4 baby cos or romaine lettuces
• extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
For the aioli:
• 2 free range egg yolks, at room temperature
• 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 1 cup olive oil
1. Put the egg yolks, garlic and lemon zest in a blender. Add a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Begin to blend on low and start to pour in the olive oil in a slow, steady trickle. You will know the aioli is ready when the consistency begins to resemble a thick, glossy mayonnaise.
3. Lastly, add the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
4. Pour the aioli in to a medium sized jar, and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
6. To prepare the lettuces, remove the dark outer leaves. Slice each lettuce down the middle lengthways, then lay them in a roasting tin, cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crispy on the edges.
8. Serve warm, with a drizzle of the aioli.
• For more from Eleanor Ozich see petite-kitchen.com