Hemsley + Hemsley's Flaxseed Buns Recipe
Try these nutrient-rich, high-protein, gluten-free flaxseed buns
Makes 6 buns
150g ground or whole flaxseeds
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Just under ½ teaspoon sea salt
A pinch of black pepper
3 eggs, beaten
½ tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
or apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
3 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon dried herbs (such as thyme) or bruised fennel/caraway seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/Gasmark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl using a fork. Beat in the remaining ingredients (except the sesame seeds) and leave the batter to rest for 5 minutes to thicken up. If using whole flaxseeds, mix with just the water and beaten egg first then allow to stand and thicken for 30 minutes before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Take 4–5 tablespoons of batter and shape into a bun with your hands. Place on the prepared baking tray and use wet hands to shape/smooth the top and to press down lightly so that the bun is 5mm-1cm thick. Repeat with the rest of the batter, sprinkling the tops with the sesame seeds (if using) and gently pressing the min.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes until the buns spring back to touch.
5. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then slice in half and fill.
- Extracted from Good + Simple by Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley (Ebury Press, $65) Photography by Nicholas Hopper