Slather on the cream cheese icing & swap out the pineapple for seasonally sweet feijoas
There is nothing like a good hummingbird cake. Try changing the pineapple for feijoas while they’re plentiful. The fruit helps to keep this cake moist and it will last for several days in an airtight container. A favourite of mine, cream cheese icing is hard to resist, especially topped with almonds and coconut.
3 ripe bananas
200ml olive oil
425g tin crushed pineapple, drained
200g brown sugar
100g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
350g self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
½ cup sliced almonds
200g cream cheese, room temperature
150g butter, room temperature
Zest of 1 lemon
400g icing sugar
Toasted coconut and sliced almonds, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line two 23cm tins with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the oil, pineapple, brown sugar, caster sugar, vanilla and eggs.
3. In another bowl place the flour, cinnamon, ginger and almonds. Pour in the wet mixture and combine well.
4. Pour evenly into the two tins. Place into the oven for 35 minutes until a skewer comes out almost clean. Cool in the tins.
5. To make the icing, beat the cream cheese, butter, lemon zest and icing sugar until light and creamy. Spread over the cake and sprinkle with coconut and almonds.Share this: