Eight Ways to Keep Mum Sweet for Mother's Day
Spoil your mum with one of these tasty treats from local bakers
Whether you're after an irresistible start to Mother's Day with a breakfast-in-bed approved coffee cupcake or a brilliant bundt just waiting to be sliced and shared with the brood, we've handpicked a host of creations expertly made by local bakers that are sure to hit the spot this weekend.
1. Chocolate caramel cake from Cake and Co
Caramel is a magical three-ingredient affair — nothing more than sugar, water, and cream — but at Cake and Co, the addition of chocolate well and truly raises the bar to create the mother of all cakes, a moreishly moist surefire crowd-pleaser.
2/175 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby
2. Coffee and walnut cupcakes from Bluebells Cakery
For the coffee-lover in your life, these petite beauties from Bluebells Cakery offer the perfect amount of indulgence to accompany Mum's leisurely savoured morning, noon or evening cuppa.
Eden Tce, Hillsborough, Takapuna
3. Sticky date, ginger and salted caramel cake from Mint Cakery
Pt Chev dessert destination, Mint Cakery, is also home to a classic sticky date bundt that may not be as good as Mum’s ... but it sure comes close. Warm slightly before serving and top with a generous spoonful of Greek yoghurt — pure bliss.
201 Pt Chevalier Rd, Pt Chevalier
4. Black forest cupcakes from Bondie Designer Cupcakes
These small but mighty renditions of the chocolate-cherry flavour combination are so good, the lovely people of Bondie Designer Cupcakes can barely set them down on their pretty pedestal in store before they waltz out the door… consider yourself warned.
45 Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna
5. Chocolate chunk cookie cake from Moustache
From Auckland’s very own cookie maestros, Moustache Milk and Cookie Bar, comes an epic rendition — a supersized cookie stack bound together by a wonderful Whittaker’s chocolate ganache.
309 K Rd, Auckland Central
6. Passionfruit and lemon mini cakes from The Caker
For extra brownie points, pick up one of The Caker’s foolproof cake mixes and do it yourself. If time isn’t on your side, however, place an order for a dozen of these zingy mini cakes. A drizzle of Lewis Road Creamery’s custard over the top is recommended.
446 K Rd, Auckland Central
7. Lemon cake with toasted meringue at Baker and Co
Tamsyn at Baker and Co has created the cake-y cousin of a lemon meringue pie and it’s, quite simply, divine. Plus it's one of the prettiest cakes you're ever likely to see.
235 West Tamaki Rd, Glendowie
8. A selection of Whoopi cakes
A signature creation at Whoopi NZ, these treats comprise of two mini-cake halves sandwiched together with a creamy filling, yummy surprise centre and just enough of a garnish to make it almost too pretty to eat … almost! Vegan and gluten options are available too.
10 Nuffield St, Newmarket
- Jesse Mulligan Reviews Japanese Restaurant Taiko In Kingsland
- Meet The Model: Get To Know Nagisa Chauveau
- Award-Winning Hairstylist Danny Pato Wins Big At This Year's Hair Expo
- 6 Japanese Beauty Products To Add To Your Skincare Regime
- Beauty News: The Kiwi Businesses Making Big Moves
- Where To Find Auckland's Best Japanese Restaurants